At Keele we have a wide range of accommodation types to suit your needs. If you are eligible to apply for accommodation, you will receive an email with information about how to apply.

If you will be living in campus Halls of Residence, you must complete the accommodation online induction before you arrive. You will find this on the Accommodation Portal.

The online induction contains all sorts of useful information and you will need to successfully complete this before you are issued with your room key. At the end of the induction you will find your Accommodation Boarding Pass – print this off so you can hand it in when you collect your keys. You should complete your Online Induction prior to your arrival at Keele.

All University bedrooms have the following as standard:

  • A bed (beds are single, except in en-suite plus rooms which have 3/4 size beds and en-suite superior which are either 3/4 size or double)
  • A bedside cabinet
  • Carpet
  • Curtains or blinds
  • A wardrobe
  • Shelves
  • A desk and chair
  • Free Wi-Fi
  • A notice board
  • A mirror

The kitchens in halls each have:

  • A cooker and microwave
  • A fridge and freezer
  • A sink with hot and cold water (cold water suitable for drinking)
  • Worktop space and cupboards
  • A kettle

You can order a kitchen starter pack and bed linen from us in advance (online via the Accommodation tab on the Accommodation Portal – where you applied for accommodation. Rice cookers are available to buy in the UK.)

  • Some kitchens also have an iron and ironing board and a toaster

Tick off your items as you pack to make sure you don't forget anything!

  • Print off and bring your accommodation boarding pass
  • Toiletries
  • Clothes
  • Crockery/cutlery/cooking equipment
  • Some photos/small personal items to make your room feel homely and cosy
  • A clock
  • Bed linen
  • Towels
  • Tea towels
  • An adaptor if you’re bringing electrical items from overseas

What NOT to bring:

  • Candles and other items that have a naked flame
  • Mini fridge – unless you have a medical reason and have received prior permission from the University
  • Microwave
  • Heaters
  • Extension cables – these must be PAT tested before they are used or you can buy one from our Campus store
  • Items that need hanging up with nails or hooks - any damage caused by using these items will be charged for
  • Fairy lights
  • Weapons, knives, imitation guns
  • Pets or animals (even fish)

Any electrical equipment that you bring (hairdryer, straighteners, lamps, etc…) must be PAT tested. If you can’t do this before you arrive, don’t worry – we provide a free testing service in each hall.

There will also be kitchen equipment such as pots, pans, crockery, utensils and cooking dishes available to buy from the Green Keele Great Donate stalls during Keele Welcome.


Once you’re in your room on campus, it’s helpful if you can check it over. If there is any damage or something is broken or not clean, please do contact a member of staff who will arrange to put things right as quickly as possible for you.

Tenants’ Handbook

Inside your room you’ll find your copy of the Tenants’ handbook. Keep this somewhere safe as it contains lots of information about the facilities in your hall, as well as explaining key regulations from your contract on what is expected from you as a tenant.


When you arrive, whether you are living on campus or in private rented accommodation, you will need to check your inventory within three days of moving in. It is important that you do this as you will be charged for any damage or missing items. If you have any queries, or if anything is missing, contact your Accommodation Services Manager or Landlord. If you’re in a campus bedroom any damage found at the end of your tenancy and not noted by you on your inventory will be charged for.


Throughout the year you may have family and friends wanting to visit you. If there’s only one visitor, you can have someone to stay in your room for a maximum of three nights. Simply book them into your room online. We just ask that you don’t have visitors stay in your room for the first few weeks, so that it doesn’t make other students uncomfortable during the initial settling in period.

Keele University is located in North Staffordshire, close to the town of Newcastle under Lyme. Many of our students already live in the local area prior to beginning their study at Keele, and some students also choose to live off campus in the local area.

Please take a look at more information about the local area and also our advice for living off campus.

Full-time students do not have to pay Council Tax. Therefore if you live in University Halls or a house where everyone is a full-time student, you shouldn’t receive a bill from the Council.

If you need to confirm that you are a student to your local council, you can obtain a Student Status letter from your eVision account or the Student Services Centre to provide to your council.

Please note: if you are resident in a house with someone who is not a full-time student, you may be liable for payment of a proportion of the Council Tax for that property. If you think you should be exempt but are still getting a bill, contact Student Services or Advice and Support at Keele (ASK) in the Students’ Union for advice.

The Student Accommodation Office can help with any problems or questions you may have about your accommodation. They can give advice on both on and off campus housing, and also offer accommodation for vacation periods and graduation.

Location: Barnes Y block reception
The office is open from 9.00am – 4.45pm, Monday – Friday
Tel: 01782 733065

You can also find all the essential information about campus accommodation in the Accommodation A-Z.