Explore this Section
- Undergraduate Course List 2018
- Open Days and Offer Holder Days
- Order a Prospectus
- Entry Requirements
- How to Apply
- Tuition Fees
- Student Life
- Study Abroad
- Student Support Services
- Student Funding
- Information for Parents and Guardians
- Information for International applicants
- About the Area
- Additional Costs
- Contact Us
Geology with Integrated Master's
This four year integrated master’s programme is ideal for anyone considering a career in the earth sciences, extending your geology and geoscience knowledge, and enhancing your research and vocational skills.
UCAS code: F64G
School of Geography, Geology and the Environment
This course adds an additional master’s level year to our three-year major route Geology (with a science subject) and Geology bachelor’s degree programmes, during which there is a strong emphasis on developing the vocational and research skills you will need to work in industry or advance in academia. You will continue to develop your breadth and depth of knowledge in the geosciences, as well as extending your research and data handling skills.
The focus of the final year is a major research project on a topic of your choosing. The master’s level field course simulates a real world geological industry scenario to help develop your employability skills. A pathway through your degree is available where field course transport and accommodation costs are covered by the University.
What will this mean for my future?
Due to the increasing demand for geological resources such as oil, gas, metals, minerals and water, as well as the need for geoscience expertise in major civil engineering and environmental projects, Geology graduates are likely to be in high demand for the foreseeable future, and a master’s degree provides higher-level vocational and research skills which are particularly appealing to employers.
You could go on to work in the petroleum, mining, geotechnical or hydrogeology industries or go on to study for a PhD. The integrated master’s MGeol degree is accredited by the Geological Society of London that can enhance your progression towards Chartered Geologist status.
- Introduction to Mineralogy and Petrology
- Geology: Time and Space
- Geology: Planet Earth
- Introduction to Sedimentology and Palaeontology
- The Earth System
- Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology
- Reconstructing Past Environments
- Advanced Structural Geology and Geological Mapping Training
- Geoscience Field Techniques
- Independent Fieldwork Project
- Geological Communication Skills
- Volcanic and Magmatic Processes
- Structure and Geodynamics
- Natural Hazards
- Hydrological and Engineering Geology
- Economic Geology
- Advanced Sedimentology
- Exploration Geophysics
- Literature Synthesis
- Research Project
- Spatial Geoscience Data Analysis
- Petroleum Geology
- Two option modules