Get to know your IT support
It’s worth getting yourself familiarised with the services your IT account gives you before you begin the term. The easiest way to do this is take a look at our online student induction (launching soon). It will guide you through how to use the Keele Learning Environment (KLE), IT Services, and includes other useful information too.
As in the drop-downs below, the self-service portal (servicedesk.keele.ac.uk) is where you will find information and advice on all IT issues, plus many other services at Keele. You will need a Keele email address and password to log on, then you can search or browse our extensive knowledge base. You should be able to find the answers you’re looking for and, if not, you can complete a form which will go direct to the team who should be able to answer your question.
The self-service portal is available 24/7 so, even when our desks are closed, help is still available. If you do need to contact the Service Desk, check out keele.ac.uk/it/contactus for the latest opening times.
The Keele Learning Environment, or KLE for short (and also called Blackboard!). Here you will be able to:
- Access your course materials and timetable
- Access your Keele email account (which you can also do directly at owa.keele.ac.uk)
- Access your student record (known as eVision, which is where you enrol)
- Choose modules
- Check your grades
- Pay your fees
You can access the KLE at students.keele.ac.uk. You might also like to download the Blackboard App from your iOS/Android app store.
If you will be on campus, Keele University’s secure wireless connection eduroam gives you access on campus, in the halls of residence and teaching buildings. Look for eduroam in your WiFi network list and connect by using your Keele email address and password.
Even if you won’t be coming to campus, you can still make use of the eduroam network as you can access it (for free) with your Keele details at other locations too. There’s an Eduroam Companion App you can use to navigate to venues with eduroam connectivity.
Living in halls? Also read more about Magnet below.
We have a wireless network which is specifically for use by students living in on-campus accommodation. Magnet is a new wireless network which you can use to connect devices other than your phone and laptop, e.g. games consoles and smart TVs, to the internet.
If you have any problems registering your devices, please get in touch with the IT Service Desk.
Your online safety is important to us; after all, a lot of what you do whilst at University will be online. So, whilst you are preparing to come to University, just take a few minutes out to follow our top tips for staying safe:
- Make sure your computer has up-to-date internet security software.
- Make sure your passwords are long and strong. Change the password (which we send to you by email) to something that you will remember, and never give away your password to anyone.
- Always keep regular back-ups of your computer and other devices.
- Social networking - be careful how much personal information you reveal on social media, etc. - it is worth checking your privacy and security settings regularly. You can find out more on our webpage about using social media wisely.
- When in doubt, throw it out: hyperlinks in emails, tweets and posts are often used to steal personal information. There is lots more advice available at getsafeonline.org.
Software such as Microsoft Office 365 is freely available to students. All current Keele students are entitled to download a copy of Microsoft Office 365 on up to 5 personally-owned devices. You can even do this before you arrive! Once you have your Keele username and password, just visit the self-service portal at servicedesk.keele.ac.uk and search for ‘Office 365’.
Don’t worry about providing your own printer if you will be coming on to campus. High quality colour printers are available in the Library. Please search ‘printing’ at servicedesk.keele.ac.uk to find out about current printing costs.
Laptops are available for day loan in the Library from a self-service facility.