Living off campus

Keele University is located in North Staffordshire, close to the town of Newcastle-under-Lyme. Many of our students already live in the local area prior to beginning their study at Keele, and some students also choose to live off campus in the local area.

Finding off campus accommodation

If you are looking to live off campus, we have plenty of information to help you with your search. If you’re bringing your family with you, you may need to look in the local area for accommodation as there is limited family housing on campus.

We have our own off campus accommodation search engine where any landlord or institution advertising with us must have up-to-date certificates for gas, electricity and energy performance, and be accredited with the local council.

You can also view and download our House Hunting Guide for students; it contains lots of information on what to consider in your search, a handy checklist to use when viewing properties, and common FAQs.

If you do have any questions or need any help, feel free to get in touch with us. We can help with a range of off campus queries, including questions about your contract or landlord.

Council tax

Full-time students do not have to pay Council Tax. Therefore if you live in University Halls or a house where everyone is a full-time student, you shouldn’t receive a bill from the Council. Towards the end of October each year, Keele University sends a list to Newcastle Borough Council, Stoke on Trent City Council and Cheshire East Council confirming the names of all full-time students, therefore you should not need to provide the Council with any documentation confirming your student status. If you live outside of these local council areas you can obtain a Student Status letter from your eVision account (or the Student Services Centre) to provide to your council.

Please note: if you are resident in a house with someone who is not a full-time student, you may be liable for payment of a proportion of the Council Tax for that property. If you think you should be exempt but are still getting a bill, contact the Student Accommodation Office or Advice and Support at Keele (ASK) in the Students’ Union for guidance.

Find out more about accommodation

Please have a browse through our Accommodation web pages and get in touch if you have any questions.