Discover Philosophy at Keele
Welcome – and congratulations on your offer to study Philosophy at Keele.
We’re really sorry we haven’t been able to meet you face to face at our Offer Holder Days this spring but we’re hoping you’ll find some useful information here – and that you’ll be inspired to come and join us in the autumn to get stuck into Philosophy.
Take a look at our video presentation, which talks you through topics such as the programme structure, information on modules you will be studing per year, and additional opportunities available to Philosophy students. We hope this presentation will give you valuable insight into studying at Keele:
Try out being a Philosophy student with this exercise: Scepticism PDF (221KB)
While you’re planning ahead for your Philosophy degree, you could read some of the books suggested below if you can get hold of them:
- Simon Blackburn - Think
- Julian Baggini - The Pig that Wants to be Eaten
- Rene Descartes - Meditations
Or you could watch/listen to some online material:
- Two really good sources of discussion and ideas for you to get started with are the BBC’s The Philosopher’s Arms and The Public Philosopher.
- Have a listen to Keele Professor of Philosophy Sorin Baiasu on the ‘Moral Maze’.
- You might also find Keele Prof James Tartaglia’s Jazz-Philosophy fusion website interesting.
If you’d like to find out what studying Philosophy means for your career options, take a look at our Future Directions flyer. In addition, take a look at this page on what you can do with a Philosophy degree.
Professor James Tartaglia, Professor of Philosophy, UG Programme Director
Dr Sophie Allen, Lecturer in Philosophy
Professor Sorin Baiasu, Professor of Philosophy
Dr Giuseppina (Josie) D'Oro, Reader in Philosophy
Dr Jonathan Head, Lecturer in Philosophy
If you wish to chat to a member of our Philosophy academic staff, or just to discuss more about life at Keele in general, please click here to contact us.