I studied at Loughborough University from 2007-2015, firstly obtaining a BSc in Chemistry and Sports Science, then an MSc in Pharmaceutical Science and Medicinal Chemistry, and finally a PhD in organic chemistry entitled 'Novel synthetic routes towards the anti-inflammatory mediator resolvin E1, and methodology development'. From 2014-2016 I worked as a University Teacher at Loughborough, mainly leading the undergraduate laboratories. I started at Keele in September 2016 as a Teaching Fellow and translated to lecturer in 2019.
- CHE-00027: General and Organic Chemistry
- CHE-10038: Chemical Science Principles
- CHE-10061: Practical and Professional Chemistry Skills
- CHE-10063: Chemical Structure and Reactivity
- CHE-20012: Drugs of Abuse
- CHE-30010: Forensic Toxicology
- CHE-30032: Advanced Chemical Analysis
- CHE-30050: Chemistry/Medicinal Chemistry Research Project
- CHE-30051: Chemistry/Medicinal Chemistry Dissertation
- CHE-40021: MChem Research Project
- Capel, N. J., Lindley, M. R., Pritchard, G. J., Kimber, M. C. (2019). Indium-mediated 2-oxonia Cope rearrangement of 1,4-dienols to 1,3-dienols. ACS Omega, 4 (1), 785-792.
- Capel, N. J., Hancock, L. M., Haxton, K. J., Hollamby, M. J., Jones, R. H., Plana, D., McGarvey, D. J. (2019). “Developing scientific reporting skills of early undergraduate chemistry students”, in Seery, M. K. and McDonnell, C. (Eds), Teaching Chemistry in Higher Education: A Festschrift in Honour of Professor Tina Overton, Trigonal Planar Press, Edinburgh, pp 333-348.
- Brown, N., Howe, C., Jones, G. R., Phillips, T. R. (2018). Active learning techniques to build problem solving skills in chemistry students. Journal of Academic Development and Education, (9), 37-40.
- Slater, N. H., Brown, N. J., Elsegood, M. R. J., Kimber, M. C. (2014). The Au(I) catalyzed activation of allenamides and their subsequent transformation into chromanes: a method for the regiocontrolled addition to the α- and γ-positions of the allene unit. Organic Letters, 16 (17), 4606–9.