I graduated in Mathematics Honors from the University of Calcutta in 2009. I obtained a Master's degree in Mathematics & Computing in 2011 and awarded a PhD in Applied Mathematics in 2015 from Indian Institute of Technology (ISM) Dhanbad, India. My thesis was concerned with mathematical studies of surface (seismic) wave propagation in different layered media. After my PhD, I joined in Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Kolkata as Post-Doctoral fellow (Feb 2015 - July 2016). I worked as a faculty member at the Assistant Professor level in the Discipline of Mathematics, Indian Institute of Technology Indore (July 2016 – Jan 2019). I have been awarded various prestigious awards like Newtown-Bhabha International Fellowship in 2018, National Post-Doctoral Fellowship in 2016, Dr. D.S. Kothari Post-Doctoral Fellowship in 2016, etc.
Presently, I am working as Royal Society-SERB Newton International Fellow in School of Computing and Mathematics, Keele University, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, United Kingdom.
Research and scholarship
I am working on Numerical Mathematics (Partial differential equations, Stability analysis, Simulation). My research is concerned with the mathematical modelling, analysis and numerical simulation of PDEs and their application in multi-field problems likes, wave propagation, asymptotic analysis, solid mechanics, and mathematical seismology. Moreover, I am equally interested on the study of earthquake source parameters and statistical analysis of World earthquakes in order to get most efficient earthquake forecasting analysis.
1. Manna S., Kundu S. and Misra J.C., (2018) Theoretical analysis of torsional wave propagation in a heterogeneous aeolotropic stratum over a viscoelastic half-space of Voigt type. International Journal of Geomechanics (American Society of Civil Engineers) vol. 18, pp. 1-17 (SCI, IF: 2.136).
2. Manna S., Kundu S. and Gupta S., (2015) Love wave propagation in a piezoelectric layer overlying in an inhomogeneous elastic half-space. Journal of Vibration and Control (SAGE), vol. 21(13), pp. 2553-2568, ISSN: 1077-5463, (SCI, IF: 2.101).
3. Kundu S., Manna S. and Gupta S., (2014) Love wave dispersion in pre-stressed homogeneous medium over a porous half-space with irregular boundary surfaces. International Journal of Solids and Structures (Elsevier), vol. 51(2), pp. 3689-3697, ISSN: 0020-7683, (SCI, IF: 2.760).
4. Kundu S., Gupta S. and Manna S., (2014) SH-type waves dispersion in an isotropic medium sandwiched between an initially stressed orthotropic and heterogeneous semi-infinite media. Meccanica (Springer), vol. 49, pp. 749-758. ISSN: 0025-6455, (SCI, IF: 2.196).
5. Prasad A., Manna S., Mahato A. and Singh V.K., (2014) The generalized continuous wavelet transform associated with the fractional Fourier transform. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics (Elsevier), vol. 259, pp. 660-671, ISSN: 0377-0427, (SCI, IF: 1.357).
1. Mukhopadhyay A.K., Gupta A.K., Kundu S. and Manna S., (2017) Influence of initial stress and gravity on torsional surface wave in heterogeneous medium. Journal of Vibration and Control (SAGE), Vol 23(6), DOI: 1077546315587145, ISSN: 10775463, (SCI, IF: 2.197). (Link)
2. Manna S., Kundu S. and Misra J.C., (2018) Theoretical analysis of torsional wave propagation in a heterogeneous aeolotropic stratum over a viscoelastic half-space of Voigt type. International Journal of Geomechanics (American Society of Civil Engineers) vol. 18, pp. 1-17 (SCI, IF: 2.332). (Link)
3. Manna S., Misra J.C, Kundu S. and Gupta S., (2018) Surface wave propagation in an initially stressed heterogeneous medium having a sandy layer and a point source, Geomechanics and Engineering, An International Journal, vol. 16 (2), pp. 169-176 (SCI, IF: 1.818).
Organized Conference & Leadership :
Convener (2018): International Conference on “Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing (ICMMSC-2018)”, July 19-21, 2018, IIT Indore.
Convener (2017): Continuing Education Program on “Differential Equations: Theory computation and Applications” on 11-14th December 2017, IIT Indore.
Maths Faculty: Vigyan Jyoti, IIT Indore, May 21 - June 10, 2018, under Department ofScience and Technology (DST) Govt. of India
Member (2018): International Symposium on “Water: Resources, Challenges & Sustainability” (WRCS), March 10, 2018, IIT Indore, India.
Member (2018): International Conference on “Frontiers in Industrial and Applied Mathematics” in association with SIAM-India, April 26-27, 2018, NIT Hamirpur (H.P.) India.
Member (2017): International Conference on “Machine Intelligence and Signal Processing (MISP 2017)”, Dec 22-24, 2017, IIT Indore, India.
Feb 2019-till date: Royal Society-SERB Newton International Fellow in the School of Computing and Mathematics at Keele University, UK
July 2016-Jan 2019: Faculty (Assistant Professor level), Discipline of Mathematics, Indian Institute of Technology Indore, India
Jan 2018-Jan 2019: Associated Faculty (Assistant Professor level), Discipline of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Indore, India
Feb 2015-July 2016: Post-Doctoral Research Scientist, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Kolkata, India
- Partial differential equations: theory & application
- Wave propagation aspects
- Asymptotic analysis