School of Computing and Mathematics
Explore this Section
- / Faculty of Natural Sciences /
- School of Computing and Mathematics /
- Staff /
- Academic /
- Ewan Russell
|Title:||Teaching Fellow in Pure Mathematics|
|Location:||MacKay Building Room 2.17|
- Research and Scholarship
- Further Information
- Admin Roles
- Research Themes
I did my undergraduate MSci (Hons) degree in Pure Mathematics at the University of Glasgow and graduated with First Class Honours in 2004. Following this I moved to the east coast of Scotland for a change where I completed a PhD at the University of Edinburgh in quantum algebra. From late 2007 – early 2010 I worked at Coventry University teaching on undergraduate Mathematics modules and taking a leading role on the HEFCE-funded project More Maths Grads for the West Midlands region. This project sought to develop, trial and evaluate means of increasing the number of individuals studying mathematics and encouraging participation from groups of learners who have not traditionally been well represented in higher education. While at Coventry I also completed the Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Higher Education Professional Practice and am now a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
My main research interests lie in the area of quantum algebras and non-commutative ring theory. Specifically I am interested in the algebraic structure of quantum deformations of coordinate rings and how these relate to their classical (commutative) counterparts.
I am also interested in Mathematical Education and in particular the use of new technologies and methods to encourage student understanding.
- "Making a maths degree work for the workplace", HEA STEM Conference 2017, University of Manchester
- “Realism and employer engagement in a work-related mathematics group project” (with P Rowlett), Proceedings of CETL-MSOR Conference 2015
- "Working with alumni and STEM professional to enhance the employability skills of undergraduate mathematicians", HEA STEM Conference 2014, University of Edinburgh
- "Cyclic Orders on the Quantum Grassmannian" (with T H Lenagan) , Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering (Section C: theme issue -- Interactions of algebraic and coalgebraic structures), 33 (2009), 337-350
- "Enhancing Transition of Students of Mathematics by School - University Partnerships” (with F Aslam, R Bhakta, S Tyrrell & J Tabor), Proceedings of ELATE 2008.
- “The Development of Mathematical Concepts through the use of LEGO NXT and LEGO NXTG” (with R Bhakta & S Joiner), Proceedings of CETL-MSOR Conference 2009.
MAT-10040: Algebra II
MAT-20026: Linear Algebra
MAT-30024: Ring and Field Theory
MAT-30029: Professional Mathematics
I currently coordinate the Keele Further Maths Knowledge Network for local sixth form Mathematics teachers. In this role I organise and deliver sessions for the group and members share teaching and learning tips. In addition I organise and contribute sessions to outreach days for local school pupils.
Maths Society Liaison