Explore this Section
- / Directorate of Student and Academic Services /
- Academic Services /
- Legal & Governance /
- Legal & Information Compliance
Legal & Information Compliance
The role of the Legal & Information Compliance team is to advise the University at an institutional level on a wide range of legal, regulatory and information compliance matters. In particular, the team’s work includes:
- responding to general legal queries;
- advising on student-related legal and contractual issues;
- providing legal support in relation to commercial strategic projects;
- arranging training on relevant legal topics;
- advising on the University contract signature processes;
- liasing with external law firms;
- advising on data protection matters; and
- responding to freedom of information requests.
The team responds to data subject access requests and freedom of information requests - and advises on information compliance, in general - as part of the University’s wider activity around Information Governance and Security. The team works closely with the University’s Information Security Manager in this area. Further comprehensive information relating to information compliance as part of the Information Governance function can be found here.
Data Protection Officer
Research, Teaching and Innovation Contracts
For any queries on contracts relating to Research, Teaching and Innovation, please contact the Project Assurance Contracts team based in the Directorate of Research, Innovation and Engagement available here.
Outside the Team’s Remit
The Legal & Information Compliance team does not advise on HR, Estates or Procurement matters or handle litigation. If legal advice is required in relation to any of these areas, please contact Clare Stevenson (x34491) who will be able to liaise with the relevant law firm and help with instructions.
The Legal & Information Compliance team cannot provide personal legal advice to students or employees of the University.
University Contract Signature Processes
Council is responsible for determining how contracts are signed on behalf of the University and this is set out in the University's Schedule of Delegation.
Further information about the University Contract Signature Processes can be accessed here.