Ordinance C2: Keele Postgraduate Association (KPA)

(previously Ordinance XVI)

1. There shall be a Keele Postgraduate Association (hereinafter called the KPA) for the promotion of the general interests of postgraduate students and to afford a recognised channel of communication between postgraduate students and the University.

2. There shall be a KPA Code of Practice, approved by the University Council, in fulfilment of the requirements of the Education Act 1994 – Section 22 (Students’ Unions). In accordance with this Act, Council is responsible for taking reasonable steps to that the KPA “operates in a fair and democratic manner and is accountable for its finances”.  The Act requires that the University and the KPA comply with measures relating to the operation of the Association, in particular relating to its Constitution, membership, elections, sabbatical officers, finances, affiliations, and requirements of the Charity Act 2006, freedom of speech and complaints, in order to ensure that the Association operates in a fair and democratic manner. The Code of Practice shall set out how these requirements be achieved. 

3. The KPA is registered with the Charity Commission as an Unincorporated Charity (charity number 1143888).

4.  The KPA is authorised to manage its own affairs and funds within the provisions of this Ordinance and the Association Constitution, in addition to statutory legislation.

5. The KPA shall have a complaints procedure for all postgraduate students who are dissatisfied with their dealings with the Association or because of a claim to be disadvantaged having opted out of Association membership.  Any postgraduate student who remains dissatisfied after exhausting all internal complaints procedures in the Association have the right to submit the complaint to the University, which will be considered by Council.

5.1 The University shall have a procedure for handling such complaints – complaints should be addressed to the Secretary to Council who will establish if there is a case for consideration, in line with the procedure. If a case is found, then the Secretary to Council may make a recommendation on behalf of Council for KPA to provide suitable and proportionate remediation. If a case is found or if the case is more complex, the Secretary to Council may appoint a lay member of Council, as an independent person, to investigate the complaint and make a recommendation to Council for final resolution of the matter.