Explore this Section
|Subject area:||Biomedical Science|
|Programme:||PhD / MPhil|
|Duration:||PhD – 3 years full-time, 6 years part-time
MPhil – 1 year full-time, 2 years part-time
|Starting Date:||Any time of the year|
|Entry Requirements:||See here|
|International entry requirements||We accept a range of qualifications from other institutions.
Standard English Language requirements apply. Details here.
Research opportunities in the biological, biomedical and life sciences include a wide range of topics in mammalian molecular biology, molecular medicine, epigenetics, proteomics, physiology, structural biology and neuroscience. There is an emphasis on links to clinical and other complementary expertise across the four sites comprising the University Hospital of North Staffordshire, RJAH Orthopaedic Hospital at Oswestry, the Haywood Hospital and Keele University campus. A wide range of research facilities and state-of-the-art equipment are available in purpose-built laboratories in the Huxley Building (School of Life Sciences), the Guy Hilton Research Centre (Hartshill, Hospital site) and RJAH Oswestry, including the Keele Proteomics Facility .
Research Subject Areas
- Cell and Molecular biology - Dr Helen Price; Dr Sheila Hope; Professor Gwyn Williams; Professor Paul Horrocks; Dr Rachel Berkson; Dr Mirna Mourtada-Maarabouni; Dr Catherine Merrick; Dr David Mottershead; Professor Nick Forsyth
- Molecular medicine - Professor Gwyn Williams; Professor Glenn Morris; Dr Alan Richardson; Dr Rachel Berkson; Dr Mirna Mourtada-Maarabouni; Professor Nick Forsyth; Dr David Mottershead
- Apoptosis- Dr Sheila Hope; Professor Dave Hoole; Professor Gwyn Williams; Dr Mirna Mourtada-Maarabouni; Professor Nick Forsyth
- Epigenetics - Professor Tony Fryer; Dr Alan Richardson; Professor Nick Forsyth
- Proteomics - Dr Sarah Hart; Professor Glenn Morris; Professor Trevor Greenhough
- Cell physiology and pathology - Professor Divya Chari; Dr Gordon Dent; Dr Michael Evans; Professor Sally Roberts; Dr Alan Harper; Dr Mirna Mourtada-Maarabouni; Dr David Mottershead
- Structural biology - Professor Trevor Greenhough; Dr Annette Shrive
- Neuroscience - Dr Michael Evans; Dr Rosemary Fricker; Professor Dave Furness; Dr Monte Gates
- Glycobiology – Dr Mark Skidmore
- Metabolic medicine - Professor Tony Fryer; Dr Chris Duff; Dr Owen Driskell; Dr Pensee Wu; Dr David Mottershead
- Diabetes - Professor Tony Fryer; Dr Chris Duff; Dr Owen Driskell; Dr Pensee Wu; Professor Mamas Mamas; Professor Nick Forsyth
- Clinical Laboratory Medicine - Professor Tony Fryer; Dr Chris Duff; Dr Owen Driskell
- Protein biochemistry - Dr David Mottershead
This 3 year PhD does not normally include a work experience placement.
|Tel :||(+44) 01782 734331|