School of Psychology
Explore this Section
Dr. Sarah Laurence
|Phone:||+44 (0)1782 734246|
|Location:||Dorothy Hodgkin Building 1.77|
|Role:||Year Zero Lead|
|Contacting me:||By Phone or Email|
I completed both my BSc and Ph.D. in Psychology at the University of Sussex. I then spent two years as a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Face Perception Lab at Brock University, Canada. I joined Keele in September 2015 as a Lecturer in Psychology.
The ability to perceive information contained in faces is important for our social interactions. For example, we need to be able to recognise a friend when we bump into them in the corridor, or recognise how someone is feeling from their facial expressions. My research aims to understand the role of experience in shaping our ability to recognise faces. I am currently conducting research that aims to understand: a) the development of face recognition during childhood; b) the effect of experience with social groups on face recognition; c) the nature of our representations for familiar identities.
- Baker, K., Laurence, S. & Mondloch, C. J. (2017). How does a newly encountered face become familiar? The effect of within-person variability on adults' and children's perception of identity. Cognition, 161, 19-30.
- Farrell, A., Semplonius, T., Farrell, M., Zhou, X., Laurence, S., Evans, A. D., Willoughby, T., Mahy, C. E. V., & Mondloch, C. J. (2016). Research activity in Canadian developmental psychology programs. Canadian Psychology, 57, 76-82.
- Laurence, S. & Mondloch, C. J. (2016). That's my teacher! Children's ability to recognize personally familiar and unfamiliar faces improves with age. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 143, 123 –138.
- Laurence, S., Zhou, X. & Mondloch, C. J. (2016). The flip side of the other-race coin: They all look different to me. British Journal of Psychology, 107, 374 –388.
- Laurence, S., Hole, G. & Hills, P. J. (2014). Lecturers' faces fatigue their students: Face identity aftereffects for dynamic and static faces. Visual Cognition, 22 (8), 1072-1083.
- Laurence, S. & Hole, G. (2012). Identity specific adaptation with composite faces. Visual Cognition, 20(2), 109-120.
- Laurence, S. & Hole, G. (2011). The effect of familiarity on face adaptation. Perception, 40(4), 450-463.
- PSY-10017 Biological and Cognitive Psychology
- PSY-20005 Biological Psychology, Perception, and Cognition
- PSY-20018 Cognitive and Biological Research Methods in Psychology
- PSY-20035 Research Methods (Ludong University, China)
- PSY-20038 Cognitive Development
- PSY-30061 Final Year Project
- PSY-30123 Faces, Forensics and Forgetting
- PSY-30125 Culture and Psychology
- PSY-40038 Research Apprenticeship in Psychology
- PSY-40045 Dissertation
- PSY-40046 Advanced Study in Child Development
- PSY-40047 Research Preparation