School of Pharmacy
Explore this Section
- / Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences /
- School of Pharmacy /
- Centre for Professional Development and Lifelong Learning (Postgraduate) /
- Modules /
- Professional MSc /
- Independent Learning Project
|Module Title:||Independent Learning Project|
|Mode of Study:||This distance learning, part-time module is a compulsory module for the Professional MSc year and the Certificate in Research and Evaluation.|
|Contact Details:||01782 733570|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences|
|Fees:||Click for details|
This module allows students to conduct a service evaluation or service development project in an aspect of their chosen area of practice. Students are allowed up to six months in which to undertake the project and will be supported by a tutor/supervisor.
This module will enable you to develop a comprehensive understanding and critical awareness of a chosen field of your professional practice, through research and enquiry that will inform the development of your professional practice/services.
Your chosen field of professional practice will normally be the same as that selected for the Advanced Practice Development (APD) module.
By the end of this module you should be able to:
• Demonstrate a critical awareness of a current issue or problem within your area of professional practice, through the critical evaluation of relevant literature, and formulate relevant research/evaluation question(s) with identifiable objectives and outcomes.
• Demonstrate your ability to apply your knowledge of methods of research and enquiry to answer the research/evaluation question(s).
• Demonstrate your ability to make sound judgements relating to data collected (including incomplete data) and communicate findings and conclusions clearly to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
• Demonstrate the qualities and transferable skills necessary for professional practice that requires:
o the exercise of initiative and personal responsibility;
o decision-making in complex and unpredictable situations; and
o the independent learning ability required for continuing professional development
This module is only available to students undertaking the Professional MSc year or the Certificate in Research and Evaluation. To be able to start this module you must have successfully completed the APD and Researching and Evaluating your Practice modules.
You will conduct a service evaluation or service development project into an aspect of your chosen area of practice. You will be assigned to a tutor/supervisor (normally the same tutor who supported you for the APD module) for the duration of the module.
You will conduct the project in accordance with the proposal that you submitted for the Researching and Evaluating your Practice module assessment that will have been approved by your tutor/supervisor.
You will submit a project report (~ 10 000 words, excluding appendices) to Keele six months after commencing the project.