BSc (Hons) Anatomy and Developmental Neurobiology UCL
MB BS Medicine UCL
MSc Clinical Neuroscience, Distinction UCL
PhD Clinical Neuroscience (Neurosurgery) UCL
My qualifications were obtained at University College London and I have spent time in both surgical training and neuroscience. I aim to maintain a career that encompasses both academic and clinical pursuits.
I view neuroscience and neurosurgery as inextricably linked. As such, I believe it is important to foster close links with neuroscience colleagues to create an environment of teamwork with respect to solving our mutual problems.
Previously I have gained awards from the Wellcome Trust, Medical Research Council, Brain Research Trust, Institute of Neurology, UCL, and the North Staffordshire Medical Institute. My publications are mainly in CNS trauma and vascular injury and my research has been recognised by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh with the award of the James Syme medal.
Research and scholarship
ISTM Research theme: Regenerative medicine
- North Staffordshire Medical Institute grant award (‘Assessing human brain slices as benchtop injury models’).
- James Syme Medal for Neuroscience Research, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- ILAE Gowers Young Physician Award, Belfast
- Wellcome Trust Special Equipment Grant (ELISA semi-automated robot)
- Institute of Neurology Equipment Grant (ELISA robot)
- Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery Prize: AANS, Phoenix, USA
- Lancet Travel Award, Congress of Neurological Surgoens, Denver, USA.
- PhD Studentship, Brain Research Trust
- MRC Advanced Course Studentship Award for Clinical Neuroscience MSc, Institute of Neurology, UCL
- BAOL Head and Neck Surgery Prize
- Wellcome Trust Student Elective Prize
- Lord Amulree Elective Prize
- Wellcome Trust Scholarship BSc Honours project, Nerve Regeneration, Department of Anatomy, UCL
- Royal College of Physicians Elective Prize
- Society of British Neurological Surgeons (Associate Member)
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- European Association of Neurosurgeons
- British Medical Association
- Medical Protection Society
Published in The Lancet Neurology:
- Time Out Of Mind by Jane Lapotaire
- Psychiatric and Cognitive Disorders in Parkinson’s disease by Starkstein and Merello
- A Life Shaken by Joel Havemann
- The Synaptic Self by Joseph le Doux
- Shared Care In Neurology by Shevlin Samulels and Misulis
Full Publications List show
Developing human dish models of neurological pathology. Midlands Medicine. full text>2017.
Pathnogenesis of cerebal vasospasm following aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: Putative mechanisms and novel approaches. Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 87(1), 1-11. doi>2008.
Metabolic failure precedes intracranial pressure rises in traumatic brain injury: a microdialysis study. Acta Neurochirurgica: the European journal of neurosurgery, vol. 150(5), 461-470. doi>2008.
S100B protein in neuropathological states: the CRP of the brain?. Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 85(7), 1373-1380. doi>2007.
Nimodipine for subarachnoid haemorrhage: the end of the road or better trials?. The Lancet Neurology, vol. 5(12), 993-994. doi>2006.
Free phenytoin concentration measurement in brain extracellular fluid: a pilot study. British Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 20(5), 285-289. doi>2009.
Extracellular N-acetylaspartate depletion in traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 96(3), 861-869. doi>2005.
Extracellular fluid S100B in the injured brain: a future surrogate marker of acute brain injury?. Acta Neurochirurgica: the European journal of neurosurgery, vol. 147(8), 897-900. doi>2005.
Axonal Pathology in Subarachnoid and Intracerebrak Hemorrhage. Journal of Neurotrauma, vol. 22(3), 407-414. doi>2005.
Triple-H therapy in the management of aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage. The Lancet Neurology, vol. 2(10), 614-621. doi>2003.
Is aspect ratio a better predictor of aneurysmal rupture?. Neurosurgery, vol. 54(6), 1343-1348.2003.
S100B as a potential neurochemical biomarker in a variety of neurological, neuropsychiatric and neurological disorders. In Neuropsychiatric Biomarkers, Endophenotypes and Genes.2009.
Intracranial haemorrhage, aneurysmal, idiopathic, hypertensive. In Neurology: Basic and Clinical Neurosciences. Elsevier.2007.
Medical Therapies for Vasospasm in SAH. In The Neurocritical Patient.2006.
The resective surgery of infective and vascular cerebral lesions. In The Treatment of Epilepsy. Blackwell Publishing.2004.