Osteoarthiritis and Osteoporosis
Our research aims to improve the management of joint pain and osteoarthritis (OA) in primary care, and provide a better understanding of the nature, causes, 'natural history' and consequences of joint pain and osteoarthritis. Below you will find details of the research studies that the research team has been involved with;
Knee Osteoarthritis - Triggers for Acute Flares
The latest research on what triggers acute flares of knee pain in adults with, or at risk of, osteoarthritis, with Dr Martin Thomas, Dr Emma Parry and patients. Primary Care Centre Versus Arthritis, Keele University, NHS Midlands Partnerships NHS Foundation Trust – A Keele University Teaching Trust and funded by the National Institute for Health Research.
- POST; A randomised clinical trial that studied the effects of implementing a point of care electronic template to promote routine anxiety and depression case finding in patients consulting with clinical osteoarthritis
- MOSAICS; A mixed methods study with a nested randomised controlled trial which assessed the management of osteoarthritis in consultations
- HIT; A randomised, clinical, single-blind, three-arm, parrallel group pragmatic trial with a linked qualitative study with aimed to improve outcomes for patients with hip osteoarthritis: hip injection trial
- BEEP; - A randomised trial with aimed to test the multiple benefits of exercise for knee pain.
- iPOPP; A pilot randomised trial which investigated aimed to increase physical activity in older people with chronic pain
- ENHANCE; A pilot randomised trial set in general practice which aimed to improve care for people with long term conditions
- NorStOP 1,2,3,4 - North Stafforshire osteoarthritis project
- Average symptom trajectories following incident radiographic knee osteoarthritis
- Trends in incidence, management of osteoarthritis, and case profile
- Trends in incidence of osteoarthritis: a primary care database study
- Predicting Primary Hip and knee arthroplasty: Individual risk of future hip and knee replacements
- Acute Flares in OA in osteoarthritis (or exacerbations in osteoarthritis)
- Patient priorities - for research in Osteoporosis
- Fragility fractures - Risk of Fragility Fracture over 10 years across 8 inflammatory conditions.
- General practice prescription of oral bisphosphonates: General practice prescription of oral bisphosphonates: review flowchart
- Improving uptake of Fracture Prevention Treatments (iFraP): Development and evaluation of a consultation intervention