Our group regularly updates our critically appraised topics. However there are occasions where the topic is no longer of clinical interest to the group. We have archived the CAT topic here so you can still see the evidence, which was current up to the search date.
If you wish to use the key heading to create your own search, you are more than welcome.
Archived Examples of Questions Discussed
- In the adult population undergoing surgical arthroscopic treatment for knee articular chondral defect, is the use of CPM (continuous passive motion) effective in reducing pain and improving function?
- Does the addition of an isokinetic speed programme improve outcomes in patients receiving a unilateral primary Achilles tendon repair?
- Are interscalene nerve blocks an effective means of delivering pain relief to patients following shoulder surgery?
- Is electrotherapy more effective than other physical therapy approaches in reducing pain and disability in adults with supraspinatus tendonitis? Is one modality of electrotherapy more effective than another?
- Is Trancutaneous Nerve Stimulation effective in Relieving pain in Acute Soft Tissue Injuries in Adults?
- In adult humans with plantar fasciitis does a sustained stretch of the calf muscles or triceps surae have an beneficial effect on pain, range of movement and return to normal daily activity?
- What is the outcome for patients with fibromyalgia receiving cognitive-behavioural therapy?
- Is acupuncture an effective method of reducing pain in outpatient physiotherapy attendees with acute soft tissue injuries or fractures, compared to usual physiotherapy?
- What are the relative benefits of different models of access to Health Care Practitioners for musculoskeletal patients in Primary Care?
- Where (AHP’s: Physiotherapists, Occupational therapists and Podiatrists) work in a Trauma and Orthopaedic (T&O) setting, investigations are requested as part of patient management. How do AHP’s compare with Nursing staff and doctors in their referral rate for x-rays and positive findings (e.g. fractures or pathologies found)?
- In adults on bed rest with a foot drop due to traumatic spinal cord injury does a timed application of a Passive Ankle - Foot Orthosis (PAFO) prevent adaptive shortening of gastrocnemius in comparison to daily passive stretching undertaken by a healthcare professional?
- In the adult population, is eccentric or concentric exercise more effective for the return of function in Subacute or chronic Achilles tendonopathies?
- Examine the effectiveness of rehabilitation programmes in primary flexor tendon repairs following surgical reconstruction at 12 weeks and 12 months in terms of pain, disability, function and return to work.
- Does the use of massage in the treatment of traumatic hand injury improve range of movement, grip strength, function, swelling and return to work when compared with usual care?
- Does appointment duration for musculoskeletal outpatient physiotherapy or occupational therapy in primary or secondary care settings, have an effect on managerial, clinical or patient outcomes?
- Should urinalysis be routinely performed prior to intra-articular corticosteroid injection in order to avoid potential exacerbation of an underlying urinary tract infection
- In adult humans with peripheral musculoskeletal injury (who have not had previous repair) is the length of time of sustained active or passive stretching more effective than other aspects of stretching for increasing return to work function and activity?
- Is day or night time splinting more effective than usual care in improving pain, function and reducing sensory disturbance in adults with Carpal Tunnel symptoms?
- In adults on bed rest with a foot drop due to traumatic spinal cord injury does a timed application of a Passive Ankle - Foot Orthosis (PAFO) prevent adaptive shortening of gastrocnemius in comparison to daily passive stretching undetaken by healthcare professional?
- In an adult population undergoing primary total knee replacement (TKR) does the addition of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) to usual care improve pain management & as a result improve ange of movement (ROM) within 3 months post-operatively?
- Is an exercise regime in addition to routine mobilization/gait re-education of improved benefit to function/QOL in post-operative adult THRs?
- Following Anterior Talo-Fibular Ligament (ATFL) reconstruction in adult humans, does the use of an air-cast splint post op have any beneficial effect on pain, range and activities of daily living (ADL)?
- Is use of physiotherapy assistants/technicians in the delivery of treatment for patients with musculoskeletal conditions as effective as treatment delivered by qualified physiotherapists only?
- Can threshold values for the Oxford hip and knee score determine the need for joint replacement surgery?
- In adults with chronic trochanteric bursitis is physiotherapy more effective in reducing pain than usual care?
- Is multidisciplinary management of chronic low back pain more effective in terms of reducing pain, improving function and increasing return to work compared with unidisciplinary treatment?