Primary Care & Health Sciences
Explore this Section
Dr Elizabeth Cottrell
|Title:||NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer in Primary Care|
|Phone:||+44 (0) 1782 734870|
|Contacting me:||Via phone or email|
Lizzie undertook her MBChB medical degree at Manchester University, completing her clinical years at Keele and graduating in 2006 with honours. She has worked in North Staffordshire ever since.
Lizzie first started working at the centre in 2007 during her NIHR Academic Foundation Year 2 post and has since completed her GP training as an NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow and completed her PhD as a GP Research Fellow.
Lizzie is now a GP Partner in North Staffordshire and an NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer in Primary Care. She was awarded the Diploma of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (DRCOG) in 2010 and the Diploma of the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health (DFSRH) in 2011.
Lizzie has supported Keele medical students since graduating, initially providing career support. Currently she is a medical student Personal Development Tutor and the lead GP in the practice for teaching medical students. Other roles that she holds include being a member of the NIHR HTA Primary Care, Community and Preventive Interventions (PCCPI) Panel, member of the Institute’s Athena Swan Committee and the REF case study group, and co-leading the local Evidence Based Practice GP group at Keele University.
Lizzie undertook a PhD in the Arthritis Research UK Primary Care Centre, researching the attitudes, beliefs and behaviours of GPs regarding exercise for chronic knee pain. This included a systematic review and a national questionnaire study investigating the attitudes, beliefs and behaviours of UK GPs.
During Lizzie's PhD she also undertook a realist synthesis examining successes and failures in concurrent learning about, and healthcare delivery for, multimorbidity in primary care.
Lizzie's post-doctoral research focus is primarily on management in primary care of osteoarthritis and examining newer models of care. she works with the Institute’s implementation team, within the Impact Accelerator Unit and is a PI on an international implementation project (JIGSAW-E) that aims to improve primary care management of osteoarthritis in 5 countries across Europe.
- Moore K, Cottrell E, Chambers R. Facebook in general practice: a service evaluation in one health economy. BJGP Open; DOI: 10.3399/bjgpopen17X101181
- Cottrell E, Foster NE, Porcheret M, Rathod T, Roddy E. Attitudes, beliefs and behaviours regarding exercise for chronic knee pain: results from a national cross-sectional general practitioner questionnaire survey. BMJ Open 2017;7:e014999. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-014999
- Cottrell E, Roddy E, Rathod T, Porcheret M, Foster NE.Whatinfluences general practitioners’ use of exercise for patients with chronic knee pain? Results from a national survey. BMC Family Practice. 2016; 17: 172. http://bmcfampract.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12875-016-0570-4
- Cottrell E, Cox T, O’Connell P, Chambers R. Implementation of simple telehealth to manage hypertension in general practice: a service evaluation. BMC Family Practice. 2015; 16:83.
- Burton C, Cottrell E, Edwards J. Clinical intelligence – Addison’s disease. BJGP. 2015; 65(638): 488-90.
- Cottrell E, Cox T, O’Connell P, Chambers R. Patient and professional user experiences of simple telehealth: a service evaluation. BMJ Open. 2015;5: e007270 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-007270
- Cottrell E, Yardley S. Lived experiences of multimorbidity: an interpretative meta-synthesis of patients’, GPs’ and trainees perceptions. Chronic Illness . 2015;12 March: 10.1177/1742395315574764
- Yardley S, Cottrell E, Rees E, Protheroe J. Modelling successful primary care for multimorbidity: a realist synthesis of successes and failures in concurrent learning and healthcare delivery. BMC Family Practice. 2015; 16:23
- Cottrell E, Roddy E, Rathod R, Thomas E, Porcheret M, Foster NE. Maximising response from GPs to questionnaire surveys: do length or incentives make a difference? BMC Research Methodology. 2015;15:3
- Yardley S, Cottrell E, Protheroe J. Understanding success and failure in multimorbidity: protocol for using realist synthesis to identify how social learning and workplace practices can be optimised. Systematic Reviews. 2013;2:87. doi:10.1186/2046-4053-2-87
- Cottrell E, Crabtree V, Edwards J, Roddy E. Improvement in the management of gout is vital and overdue: an audit from a UK primary care medical practice. BMC Family Practice 2013, 14:170. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2296-14-170
- Cottrell E, Protherough K, Howard J, Wilkinson M. Assessing academic clinical Fellows in General Practice: square pegs in round holes? Education for Primary Care . 2013; 24(4): 266-73
- Cottrell E, Chambers R. Healthcare professionals’ knowledge of calories. Nursing Standard. 2013; 27(21):35-41
- Cottrell E, Chambers R, McMillan K. A cross-sectional survey and service evaluation of simple telehealth in primary care: what do patients think? BMJ Open. 2012;2:e001392.doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001392 Available at http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/6/e001392.full
- Cottrell E, Chambers R, O’Connell P. Using simple telehealth in primary care to reduce blood pressure: a service evaluation. BMJ Open. 2012;2:e001391 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001391 Available at http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/6/e001391.long
- Cottrell E, Welsh V, Mallen C. Inflammatory arthritis: case review and primary care perspectives. Clinical Rheumatology. 2012; DOI 10.1007/s10067-011-1919-7
- Mohanna K, Cottrell E, Chambers R, Wall D. TME. 3rd ed. Oxford: Radcliffe Publishing; 2011.
Cottrell E, Roddy E, Foster NE. The attitudes, beliefs and behaviours of GPs regarding exercise for chronic knee pain: a systematic review. BMC Family Practice 2010, 11: 4.
Cottrell E. The Medical Student Career Handbook. 2nd ed. Oxford: Radcliffe Publishing Ltd; 2009.
Cottrell E, Chubb R. Educational supervisors. Clinical Teacher. 2008; 5(1): 3.
Kuzinkovas V, Giebaly D, Velmurugan S, Cottrell E, Chubb R, Semalesan S et al. Can patients with a high BMI be treated by day case laparoscopic cholecystectomy. British Journal of Surgery. 2007; 94(S5): 32.
Cottrell E. The Medical Student's Survival Guide: the early years. Oxford: Radcliffe Publishing Ltd; 2007.
Cottrell E. The Medical Student's Survival Guide: going clinical. Oxford: Radcliffe Publishing Ltd; 2007.
Cottrell E, Rebora C, Williams M. The Medical Student Career Handbook. Oxford: Radcliffe Publishing Ltd; 2006.
Cottrell E, Grounds A. Medicine meets law: forensic psychiatry. Student BMJ. 2006; 14: 335-6.
- Watts K, Cottrell E, Hoban P, Spiteri M. RhoA signalling modulates cyclin D1 expression in human lung fibroblasts; implications for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Respiratory Research. 2006; 7: 88.