Explore this Section
What we offer
The PhD training programme will support up to four clinical PhD fellowships each year over the next five years. The first intake will commence in the academic year 2017/2018.
- Financial support is for 3 years (full or part-time working considered) and includes a clinical salary, research expenses, general training funds and travel costs (within reason).
- Fellows will continue to work in clinical practice to maintain their skills and competencies. Clinical time commitment will be dependant on the needs of the individual.
- Fellows will register for a PhD in the host department and will follow the associated regulations.
Each Fellow will have two PhD supervisors (one clinical, one methodological) who are internationally renowned experts in the field.
At the end of each year, the Fellow will undergo a formal progression assessment where academic competencies, supervisor support, research training progress and project development are assessed. Fellows who are not meeting the required standards for progression will be supported to leave the programme at this point, returning to clinical practice.
Fellows will take a selection of core training modules, provided by either their host institution (or another member of this partnership where appropriate), to provide robust training in research methods, statistics and epidemiology and research ethics and governance. The precise combination of modules will be decided by the Fellow and their supervisory team and approved by the Director of the Wellcome Trust Clinical PhD in Primary Care. If external modules are required outside the expertise of the departments we will arrange and fund them (within reason).
- Applicants must hold a first degree in medicine.
- A Masters degree in a relevant discipline is highly desirable.
- Applicants must be fully-qualified GPs or on a vocational training scheme, have a right to work in the UK, be eligible for home/EU PhD fees
- In addition, if English Language is not your first language, then you must provide evidence of your competence in English Language before you commence your programme.
Please refer to Keele’s English Language requirements website for further details.