School of Medicine
Explore this Section
- School of Medicine Home
- School Executive
- MBChB (5 years)
- Postgraduate and Leadership Courses
- International students
- Staff Search
- Athena SWAN
- Contact Us
- Facilities and Virtual Tour
- Image gallery on Flickr
- Keele campus directions and local area
- News & Events
- Intercalated Degrees
- Keele Anatomy and Surgical Training Centre
- Medical Elective Placements (non-Keele students)
- Student Support Services
- Student Council and Societies
- Useful Links
- Public and Patient Involvement
- Staff vacancies
- / Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences /
- School of Medicine /
- Intercalated Degrees /
- How and when to apply
How and when do I apply?
Keele students wishing to intercalate at Keele University
We are keen to encourage medical students at Keele to intercalate given the significant academic and career benefits of intercalation. To undertake an intercalated degree, students must be given permission by the School of Medicine as well as being offered a place on their chosen course. From 2010, we have made significant changes to the procedure by which decisions regarding permission to intercalate are made. Permission is now granted following a short interview with an Intercalation panel. Decisions will be based on the student’s academic record overall and on their motivation for undertaking the intercalated degree. Permission will be withdrawn if students do not pass their end of year assessments (Theory and Practical) at the first sitting.
- Please note that should permission to intercalate be granted by the interview panel, students will still need to apply independently to the course of their choice.
- Intercalating students will be given access to their cohort's Blackboard, in order for them to stay in touch with their year's activities.
- Complete and return the Keele ICD Expression of Interest Form (see Application Forms section below) to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 31st of October of the year PRIOR to the proposed intercalation year. We will assess your academic record separately.
- You will be invited to an interview with the Intercalation panel. For the 2018/19 academic year, interviews are scheduled to take place on Monday 5th November (all day) and Thursday 15 November (AM only). We anticipate that preliminary notification of the permission to intercalate will be sent out by the end of November 2018.
- The final selection of candidates will be made after the end of year examinations, and will be conditional on a satisfactory performance and professional conduct. Confirmation of your selection or rejection will be sent to you once your examination record has been checked.
You are strongly encouraged to contact the course leaders for an informal discussion to get further information on the course before you apply.
- For external candidates, the decision to accept a student onto the course is made by the relevant department taking their previous background and experience into account.
External students should not contact Keele Medical School regarding their applications; all queries should be directed to the relevant University department.
Keele students wishing to intercalate at another university
You will need to liaise directly with the relevant intercalated degree co-ordinator at the university you are interested in, familiarise yourself with their application procedure, and apply directly to the relevant university following their application procedure. Keele will not do this on your behalf.
However, you will need to obtain permission to intercalate from Keele School of Medicine following the standard application and interview process. If required, we will write directly to the Intercalated Degree Co-ordinator at the university you choose to intercalate at, confirming whether you have been granted permission to intercalate.
External students wishing to intercalate at Keele University
Applicants should seek permission to intercalate from their own medical school prior to applying to Keele. Applications will be processed centrally by the relevant University department. The decision regarding acceptance of an applicant to a specific intercalated degree will be made by the degree course leaders. For intercalated degrees on offer at Keele, refer to the specific course details below. The contact details for individual course leaders are also provided. You are strongly encouraged to contact the course leaders directly for an informal discussion to get further information regarding the degree courses. You will be expected to pay the fees set by the degree course. Applicants should submit an Application Form for External Applicants (see below).
Keele students: Download the Keele Intercalated degree expression of interest form (Word) or the Intercalated degrees expression of interest Form 2017(PDF)
Return to: email@example.com.
External applicants: Go to the postgraduate application page http://www.keele.ac.uk/pgapply OR http://www.keele.ac.uk/pgresearch/howtoapply and follow the online process.
For any questions with regard to the application process, please contact: Jill Clarke on firstname.lastname@example.org or + 44 (0)1782 734368.
For any other questions, please direct your queries in the first instance to Professor Divya Chari, Lead for Medical Intercalated Degrees at the Keele Medical School, on email@example.com.