Media, Communications & Culture
Explore this Section
Media Careers Information
"In terms of creative buzz, few careers provide the same job satisfaction as those in the media. A downside however, is that these jobs are highly sought after, so competition is tough. But if you keep at it, and if you've got what it takes, the rewards can be great.
If you don't know where to start, don't worry, you're not alone. Many people who now have your dream job were once in your position. A bit of timely research might just give you the kick-start you need."
- UK Film Council: most has been moved to the regional bodies such as Screen West Midlands www.screenwm.co.uk
- StartinTV: www.startintv.com service specialising in helping TV Newcomers get started.
- The Ideas Factory: www.ideasfactory.com/index.htm Channel 4's website to help you get into the creative careers.
- BBC: Have a training site for TV, radio and journalism at www.bbc.co.uk/learning/onlinecourses/
- BBC Work Experience Scheme: www.bbc.co.uk/workexperience
- FT2 (Film and Television Freelance Training): www.ft2.org.uk national provider of training for people seeking a career in the junior construction, technical and production grades of the film and tv industry.
- 4Talent provide information on careers, vacancies and other opportunities in the creative industries www.channel4.com/4talent
- Writers Room is a useful resource for budding writers, including help, advice and training opportunities www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom
Job Hunting Links
- Kemps Film and TV Production Services Handbook: www.kftv.com lists contact details of 45,000 companies and crew operating in the film, TV and media production industries worldwide.
- The Knowledge Online: www.theknowledgeonline.comFilm Television and Video Website with job forum.
- Mandy's International Film and TV Production Directory: www.mandy.com web-only resource for professional service-providers in Film, TV and Multimedia, including listings for companies in these fields and job ads.
- Production Base: www.productionbase.co.uk a networking site for people and companies working in TV and film, including jobs and links.
Online Networking Links
- Shooting People: www.shootingpeople.org an online film-making community that provides regular bulletins for animators, screenwriters, actors, filmmakers, music videos director/producers & composers. Great source of information and possible employment/experience.
- Talent Circle: www.talentcircle.co.uk film & TV Jobs, industry news and resources for filmmakers, crew and actors.