Explore this Section
RefWorks (Reference Management Software)
New to RefWorks? Start here!
**IMPORTANT - READ THIS FIRST**
If you are an existing "Legacy RefWorks" user, do not migrate to New RefWorks until you have completed any documents being worked on and attached to your existing “Legacy RefWorks” account. Finish your essay, dissertation, thesis or other piece of work using RefWorks Legacy before migrating to the New RefWorks system.
**FAO MAC OS USERS**
Click here to view the latest guidance from Refworks on the compatibility of your operating system, and version of Microsoft Office, with their suite of writing and citing plug-ins (Write-N-Cite and Refworks Citation Manager). Mac users running Word for Mac 2008 and 2011 are advised to use Write-N-Cite. Mac users running Word for Mac 2016 may only use Refworks Citation Manager.
Click here to create your New RefWorks account.
At the sign-up page you will be asked to enter your Keele email address - type it in and click on 'Check'. Note, your Keele email address will be your username on New RefWorks. During the sign up process you will receive an email containing a link to confirm registration, and you will also have to create and enter your own password.
Once registration is complete you will be able to login using the link below.
If you have any questions on using the New RefWorks contact the Library by emailing email@example.com
Legacy RefWorks Users
Help for Legacy RefWorks can now be found here.
Migrating Your Account
Before doing so, please note the following:
- It is not essential that you do this immediately. In particular, DO NOT MIGRATE to New RefWorks until you have completed any documents being worked on and attached to your existing “Legacy RefWorks” account. Finish your essay, dissertation, thesis or other piece of work using RefWorks Legacy before migrating to the New RefWorks system.
- Accounts on the New RefWorks system can be set up using your Keele email address; an automated email reply will prompt you to set up a password and then you can start to use New RefWorks - once the new version is up and running for a few months we will advise users on how to associate their New RefWorks accounts with their Keele login.
- All accounts on the existing “Legacy Refworks” version will still be available to users until at least the end of 2018 - ProQuest have indicated in replies to institutions/users that this date may be extended into 2019.
- Users can use both their Legacy and New RefWorks accounts throughout the migration period - note however they are considered separate accounts and any references added to New RefWorks will not appear in the Legacy version.
New RefWorks Help Guides and Videos
New RefWorks Support Website
Contains a wealth of information to help you use the New RefWorks, including screencasts, how-to guides and webinar schedules.
The New RefWorks YouTube channel contains lots of videos showing you the basics of using the new version.
Book A Place On Our Training Sessions
The Library service offers RefWorks training at the Campus and Health Libraries.
Sessions at the Campus Library are hosted by Librarians from the Academic Services team as part of our "In A Nutshell" series. Refworks is covered in our session "Managing your References...In A Nutshell". Click here to view when the sessions run and to register.
We also provide Refworks training for Postgraduate Researchers through the Academic Development Workshop programme - visit the Academic Development website for booking details.
The Health Library's Refworks training dates at the Clinical Education Centre, and those hosted at 59 The Covert for postgraduate research students, are provided below.
|Monday 1 July 2019||3.30pm||Health Library||Book Your Place|
|Wednesday 17 July 2019||2.00pm||Health Library||Book Your Place|
|Wednesday 24 July 2019||10.00am||Health Library||Book Your Place|
|Friday 9 August 2019||1.00pm||Health Library||Book Your Place|
|Wednesday 21 August 2019||1.00pm||Health Library||Book Your Place|
|Wednesday 4 September 2019||2.00pm||Health Library||Book Your Place|
|Monday 9 September 2019||2.00pm||Health Library||Book Your Place|
Frequently Asked Questions
I have more than one RefWorks Legacy account attached to my Keele email address or other personal email - what can I do?
Once you have set up a New RefWorks account, you can import your references from each of your Refworks Legacy accounts one-by-one- see our instructions on how to do this. You can only have one account on the New RefWorks system, and that has to be registered to your Keele email address - but you can import your references from all of your Refworks Legacy accounts to your new one.
I share a Legacy RefWorks account with research colleagues - can we continue to do so on New Refworks?
Yes, this is possible. However, you will have to set up a new email address for your migrated shared account. Create a new Google email address to act as the "host" for your shared account - colleagues in Keele IT Services could also help setting this up. Once you have done this, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you finalise the migration - it will be a case of simply setting up the new account attached to the new email address, and then importing the references from the existing shared Legacy Refworks account.
Can I still use the existing version of Write N Cite on my computer with the new RefWorks?
Yes - when you login to Write N Cite it should connect to the appropriate version of RefWorks you are using - dependent on whether you are logging into RefWorks Legacy or New RefWorks.
I have added references to New RefWorks but they are not appearing in my RefWorks Legacy account.
Users can use both their Legacy and New RefWorks accounts throughout the migration period - note however they are considered separate accounts and any references added to New RefWorks will not appear in the Legacy version.
Reference management software can help you in lots of ways:
- Collect and manage references to articles, books, and other literature
- Import references from online databases (e.g. Academic Search Premier, MEDLINE and so on)
- Search and sort your references in different ways
- Produce a bibliography / reference list
- Insert citations into a word-processing document and generate the corresponding reference list (you first need to download the 'Write 'N' Cite tool if working off-campus, but it should already be available on PCs on the Keele University network)
RefWorks is online reference management software (no need to install any software on your computer), is accessible wherever you have an internet connection, and is completely free to members of Keele University.
Are you leaving Keele but want to continue to use RefWorks?
No problem, as long as Keele University subscribes to RefWorks, you can continue to use it through the alumni access scheme.
Please send an email to email@example.com with your name and details.
We'll then send you instructions on moving your account from the Keele system to the RefWorks alumni system.
We recommend you contact us before your Keele registration ends, however we can re-instate access to accounts even if this happens.
Got A Question On RefWorks?