Explore this Section
Postgraduate Research Writing
Designed with the specific needs of the international postgraduate researcher (PGR) in mind, this 2-semester module focuses on working with and producing the specific types of texts essential for successful PhD candidates. Topics covered include:
- recognising, analysing and incorporating the features of research writing
- writing conventions for research proposals, literature reviews, summaries, abstracts, theses and dissertations
- introducing and using quotations to maximum effect
- paraphrasing source material and writing with clarity
- utilising lexical indicators of stance and 'hedging'
- extending active academic vocabulary
- citing and referencing with accuracy
- preparing and delivering an effective poster presentation
Participants share their work in progress with the group and tutor for feedback and guidance in the spirit of a cooperative academic community, and valuable preparation for supervisory meeting s and progression panels is provided through on-going opportunities to present research progress to the group and field questions.
Small class size ensures maximum attention to the concerns and needs of individual researchers.
NOTE: This module is open only to PhD candidates.