Explore this Section
- IT Services Home
- Assistive Facilities
- Box of Broadcasts
- File Storage
- Getting Started / E-Induction
- Google Apps
- IT Policies and Procedures
- IT Service Desk
- IT Suite & Labs
- Laptop Clinic
- Laptop Loan
- MIS Systems
- Password Changer
- Printing, Copying & Scanning
- Staff Computing
- Latest News
- Contact Us
- Information Security
Laptop Loan Scheme
Short Term Laptops
Our short term laptop loan scheme is available for Keele students. You can borrow an up-to-date HP Probook up until the close of the IT Service Desk on the same working day.
Note: All return times are agreed and signed at the point of the loan being booked out.
- The loan period is available office hours and all laptops need to be returned on the same working day
- You will need your Keele Card for ID purposes
- Full details below.
Long Term Laptops
Our long term laptop loan scheme is available for Keele students. You can borrow an up-to-date Dell Latitude Laptop for up to 2 weeks.
Note: All return Dates and times are agreed and signed at the point of the loan being booked out.
- The loan period is for a maximum of 2 weeks and the laptop must be returned within normal IT Service Desk opening hours.
- You will need to pay a non-refundable charge of £20 by either Keele Card (with enough credit pre-loaded) or Bank Credit/Debit Card, we also except Android and Google Pay.
- Full details below.
IT Connect in the Library building.
All our laptops are HP Pro Book Intel Core i3 with 8Gb Ram. They have the ability to connect to the Keele WiFi access points, access your filestore (S: drive) and print to IT Suite printers.
The loan includes
- Kensington Lock & Key
- Power Supply
- Laptop Bag
- MS Windows 7 Enterprise
- MS Office 2016 Professional (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher)
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus Software
- Assistive software for the visually impaired (MS Narrator, MS Magnifier, MyStudyBar)
- Minitab, but must borrow ('help' menu -> 'about') a licence for standalone use.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- MS Internet Explorer
- Libre Office
Laptop Loan Terms and Conditions
- You must be a current student at Keele and have a valid Keele Card, IT username & password in order to be eligible to loan a laptop.
- You must agree to use the Laptop in accordance with the IT Conditions of Use and agree and sign laptop loan agreement form each time you wish to loan a laptop.
- Loans are NOT transferrable. You must personally return all loaned equipment back to the IT Service Desk in the Library Building, Keele Campus.
- You must exercise all due care of the equipment to prevent loss or damage during the period of your loan.
- You accept FULL RESPONSIBILTY for any loss or damage to the equipment caused by your negligence or improper use. "Improper use" includes using the equipment otherwise than in accordance with the manufacturer's and/or the University's instructions, using the equipment for a purpose other than intended or allowing the equipment out of the your control and custody and failing to protect it from loss or damage.
- You will pay the cost of full repair or replacement of any equipment lost or damaged as a result of your negligence or improper use.
- You agree to pay £20 non-refundable charge for long term loan (plus a £20 refundable deposit) for the long term 2 week hires. All payments to be made by Keele Card or Debit/Credit card payment and deposits will be refunded to the card on which the deposit has been paid. (if applicable).
- You must return all loaned equipment to a member of IT Services Staff in person so that the equipment can be inspected for any visible damage, the loan cleared from the system and your deposit refunded (if applicable).
- For short term loans late returns will levy a fine will be charged at a rate of £5.00 per day.
For long term loans, a fine of £5.00 per day will be charge for each additional day will be charged. Failure to return any overdue Laptop within one week of return date will result in your IT Account being disabled and a ban from using the service in the future.
- In the event of loss due to theft, you must report the missing items as soon as possible to the IT Service Desk, and provide a Police Incident Number once it has been reported stolen.
- Failure to return the equipment on time may result in the equipment being reported as stolen to the Police and recovery procedures being invoked.
- Do not save any work to the laptop's hard drive. Save all work to either a USB pen/flash drive or to your network filestore (S: drive). All files on the hard drive will be deleted once the laptop is returned and cannot be recovered.
- The laptop you loan may not be charged. In this case please connect to the supplied power supply and connect to a mains power outlet
- You must adhere to the University's regulations regarding computer use.
- All equipment must be returned prior to the date/time indicated on your form. The last short term loan of the day will be at 3pm and must be returned 15 minutes before the IT Service Desk closes. Check www.keele.ac.uk/it for the current opening times.
- Short term loans are only available during IT Service Desk opening hours.
- In the event of a problem with the equipment during your loan period, please contact the IT Service Desk making it clear that the equipment is a loan item. Do NOT attempt to fix and hardware problems yourself as this could invalidate the warranty and leave you liable for damage/replacement costs.
- All equipment remains the property of Keele University and Keele University reserves the right to invoice you for the full value of the laptop should it be damaged or not returned within 7 days of the agreed rental period.
- You cannot install your own software on the short term laptops. Any software installed or files downloaded using the long term laptops must be in accordance to appropriate software licensing and adhere to UK copyright law.