For further information on particular aspects of immigration, please choose the tab most relevant from those below.

Tier 4 Visa Extensions

Most international students, at some time, need to extend their Tier 4 (General) student visa.  International Student Support and Advice and Support at Keele (ASK) are here to support and advise students who wish to extend their visas.  We recommend that you register with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) first and attempt to complete as much of the Tier 4 (General) online application as you can, saving all changes but not submitting your application, before making an appointment with an adviser for checking and further assistance.  It is best to start your visa extension preparation at least one month before the expiry date of your visa.

You will need the following for a Tier 4 (General) Student visa extension:

  • A completed online Tier 4 (General) application form

  • The visa application and Immigration Health Surcharge fee paid online
  • Your passport (and previous passport if you used it to travel to the UK to study)
  • Your Biometric Residence Permit (if you have one)
  • Two identical passport photographs taken within the last month (we recommend you get your photographs from 1st Cameras in Newcastle on the Ironmarket)
  • Your up-to-date Police Registration Certificate (if you are required to register)
  • Your CAS statement
  • Bank Statements
  • Sponsor letter and statements

The Confirmation of Acceptance of Study (CAS)

The CAS is a unique reference number that you will need when you make your visa application.  It confirms that you are a student on a full-time course at Keele University and that this University is your Tier 4 sponsor.  The CAS number is obtained from UKVI by the Immigration Compliance team at Keele and then given to you, after you have previously checked that all your details are correct on our records system.  The Immigration Compliance team are based on the first floor of the Student Services Centre, Tawney Building.  Please allow up to two weeks for the production of a CAS number.  Once you have the number, you can then use it in the relevant section of the online visa extension application form.

How much money will I need to show?

International students need to show £1,015 per month for living costs if they are studying outside London, up to a maximum of 9 months (please see International Student Support or Advice and Support at Keele for more information).

The only thing that can reduce the amount of living costs that you must show, is if you live on-campus and have paid the University any accommodation fees for the current academic year.  If this applies to you, the amount paid can be shown in your CAS and a maximum of £1,265 can then be deducted from the amount required for living costs.

You will also need to show any outstanding tuition fees owed to the University for the current academic year.  If you have already paid all or part of your tuition fees, this can be shown in your CAS so you don't need to provide any further evidence of this amount paid.

How can I show this money?

You will need to provide bank statements that show at least the minimum amount of money required in your account for EVERY DAY of a minimum period of 28 days.

Any statement you provide must be no more than one month old on the date you submit your application.  The statement should be in your name, or include your name if it is a joint account. 

Statements from non-UK bank accounts can be used but you must provide an official translation, if not in English, plus a printed page from the OandA currency conversion website showing the amount in sterling and exchange rate for the day the statement was printed.

You are permitted to use your parents statements, but this can be difficult as you must obtain the statements, provide an official translation if not in English, include a printed page from the OandA website (see above), submit your birth certificate proving the relationship and an official translation if required and finally a letter from your parents that confirms the relationship and also confirms that they are willing to support you financially until the end of your course and an official translation of this if required!

Finally, if you are a sponsored student, you should include a recent letter from your sponsor confirming that they will continue to support you financially.  The letter should also include information on whether you are receiving sponsorship for your tuition fees only or tuition fees and living costs and amounts as applicable.  If you receive a scholarship from Keele University, information on this will be included in your CAS.


Working in the UK

International Students

Unless your visa states any other restrictions or prohibitions, then you can work:

  • Part time during the University semesters up to a MAXIMUM of 20 hours per week.
  • Full time during University vacations or as part of an official work placement included in your course.

Your permission to work and any associated restrictions can be found on your Biometric Residence Permit.

EU/EEA Students

Students from the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia or Slovenia no longer need to register under the Worker Registration Scheme.  Students from these countries can now work in the UK without needing permission.

From 1st January 2014, Bulgarian and Romanian nationals no longer need authorisation from the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) before working in the UK.  Evidence of permission to work in the form of an accession worker card or registration certificate is now not required.

All other EEA or Swiss nationals are entitled to work in the UK without restrictions.

Police Registration

Students from certain countries are required by law to register with the Police when they first arrive in the UK.  Click here to find a list of the nationalities that need to register with the Police.  You can also check on your visa application decision letter to see whether this is a requirement.

If you are required to register, you must do this within 7 days of your arrival in the UK.  The only exception is if you have made an appointment with International Student Support to attend one of the Police Registration days organised during each Welcome period.  

If you arrive in the UK at any time other than September, will be living in Staffordshire, and need to register, please call the Overseas Visitor Registration Office at Staffordshire Police Headquarters on 01785 235281 or email

If you are already registered with Staffordshire Police and have recently extended your visa, had a new passport or have changed address, you will need to contact the Overseas Visitor Registration Office to have your registration certificate updated.

If you have any questions about Police Registration, please email   

Visa checkpoints - Maintaining your Visa


Keele University requires all international students to attend at least 3 mandatory checkpoint events each academic year for which you will be given notice (usually under 1 working week) by email to your University email account.

Visits from Family

Your friends or family members may wish to come to the UK for a short holiday and to see you during your time studying in the UK.  They may also decide to come to the UK for your graduation ceremony and for these visits they need to apply for a visit visa.

The UKVI website has information on how to apply and also any forms they will need.

The documents they will need to provide with their application include:

  • Applicant's passport
  • Two identical photographs
  • A letter of invitation from you (a Visitor Invite Example letter is provided)
  • A Student Status Letter available from eVision via 'Common Actions' or your Research Institute confirming your student status and details of your course
  • A photocopy of the visa page (or Biometric Residence Permit if you have one) plus the personal details page in your passport
  • The visa application fee
  • Financial evidence that the applicant can support themselves during their time in the UK (usually three months of bank statements)
  • Any travel or accommodation bookings
  • An itinerary giving details of how time is to be spent in the UK
  • Proof of intention to return home (e.g. a letter from an employer or a return ticket)
  • Evidence of the family relationship may also help
  • Correspondence from the Graduation Office regarding your Graduation Ceremony if this is the purpose for the visit

For information on how to apply for a dependants visa to bring your husband/wife and/or child to the UK to join you for a longer period of time, please see the Dependants section of this website.

Dependant Visas

Tier 4 students can apply for their family members to join them in the UK as Points Based System Dependents.  You will be able to do this if you are:

  • A postgraduate student on a course that is for 12 months or more OR
  • A Government sponsored student on a course that is for 6 months or more

An overview of the requirements can be found at however we strongly recommend that you receive advice and support from International Student Support before you commence any application.  

If your family members are currently with you and you need to extend your visas or if you would like to apply for a visa for a baby born in the UK, International Student Support can advise and support you with this too.

Please attend one of our daily drop-in sessions to receive initial advice.

Leave of Absence and Extenuating Circumstances

If you are considering taking a Leave of Absence or possibly withdrawing from your studies, please come and speak to us in the Student Services Centre, Tawney Building.  This may have an impact on your UK immigration status and so it is important to talk through the options available to you and receive support with any decision you make.


All international students should have sufficient time left at the end of their visa to attend their graduation ceremony.  You should have received a visa for the length of the course plus an additional four months if your course is 12 months or longer.

Some students may have reassessments or may have to request an extension of the deadline for submission of their dissertation/thesis.  Because of this, graduation does not take place when initially expected and after the visa expiry date.  Some students will be eligible to extend their Tier 4 visa to remain in the UK but otherwise, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) expect international students with a graduation ceremony date after the expiry date of their Tier 4 visa to leave the UK, and re-enter as a visitor just to attend the graduation ceremony.  The UKVI website gives information on how to apply for a visit visa.

Visiting other countries

Many students wish to make the most of their free time between periods of study by visiting other countries, either in Europe or beyond. 

For countries outside of Europe, students should apply for a tourist/visit visa for each country they will visit.  Applications must be made to the relevant Embassy in London (or Edinburgh, Manchester etc if offered).

For visits to European countries, Britain has a special agreement that means that international students in the UK with a Tier 4 (General) visa or with a Short Term Study Visa, can apply for a 'Schengen' visa to enter a European country or several European countries as part of the same trip.  The most important rule is that you should always apply to the Embassy of the country that you will be spending the most time - for example, if you are planning a trip and will fly into France for 2 days, then travel to Italy for 3 days and then cross into Germany for one week before returning to the UK, the application must be submitted to the German Embassy in the UK.

The visa application process is different depending on the Embassy, some allow postal applications, others ask you to attend a pre-booked appointment in person.  Many are now asking corporate partners to handle the applications for them, using companies such as VFS Global or TLS.  You should check the website of the Embassy you are applying to. 

The things that you have to submit are always the same however, and these are:

  • Your passport (and biometric card if your visa is not inside your passport)
  • Two recent passport photos
  • The visa application fee
  • The visa application form (downloaded from the Embassy website)
  • Proof of funds for the trip (3 months of bank statements ending no more than one month before application.  The amount recommended is £30 for each day of your trip)
  • Evidence of trip planning, e.g. any existing travel bookings, hotel reservations, letters from friends/family offering accommodation
  • Proof of Travel Insurance for the trip (the French Embassy prefer travel insurance policies from the Post Office)
  • Trip itinerary

Do check on the website for a full description of the documents required and consult International Student Support if you need any further help.

BREXIT UPDATE - At the present time, arrangements for a visa to travel in and around Europe remain the same.  It is not known what arrangements will exist in the future when the UK leaves the European Union.  If you have any questions, please attend a drop-in session at the Student Services Centre, Tawney Building. 

Tier 4 Responsibilities

If you are in the UK studying on a Tier 4 visa under sponsorship from Keele University, you must comply with the immigration conditions attached to your visa and there are certain responsibilities that you are required to meet.  As your immigration sponsor, Keele University also has a duty of care to you, we also must comply with the immigration rules and there are certain responsibilities that we too are required to meet.

You can find further information on these responsibilities at

Researching or Writing Up Thesis/Dissertation Away from Keele - Postgraduate Students

PGR Students: Step 1

If you wish to write up your thesis away from Keele, either elsewhere in the UK or abroad, then you need to complete the Notification of Change of Address When Away from Keele Form.

This also applies to anyone who is in the process of re-submitting their thesis, when on continuation status or when working away from Keele as part of research studies.

PGT Students: Step 1

If you have completed all the taught elements of your course and wish to write up your dissertation away from Keele, either elsewhere in the UK or abroad, then you need to complete the Notification of Change of Address When Writing Up Dissertation Form.

This also applies to anyone who is in the process of re-submitting their dissertation.

PGR and PGT Students: Step 2

Once step 1 has been completed and agreed, you will be sent an email to confirm the arrangements and explain what you need to do, which will include:

  • Keeping in contact with the University via email every month (see below for contact details)

For students who have chosen to go abroad and have notified the University, you will need to inform Keele International if your circumstances change and you plan to re-enter the United Kingdom at any point.

Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences


Keele Management School

School of Humanities

School of Law

School of Public Policy and Professional Practice

Sociology and Criminology


RI HUMSS (PhD students) (PhD students) MRes (Students)



Faculty of Natural Sciences


MSc/MRes School of Computing and Mathematics

MSc/MRes School of Life Sciences

MSc/MRes School of Physical and Geographical Sciences

School of Psychology

EPSAM PhD/MPhil research students

Faculty of Natural Sciences PhD/MPhil research students



Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences


School of Health and Rehabilitation

School of Medicine (Year 1 students) (Year 2 students) (Year 3 students) (Year 4 students) (Year 5 students) (Postgraduate Medicine)

School of Nursing and Midwifery 

School of Pharmacy