In terms of creative buzz, few careers provide the same job satisfaction as those in the media. A downside however, is that these jobs are highly sought after, so competition is tough. But if you keep at it, and if you've got what it takes, the rewards can be great.
If you don't know where to start, don't worry, you're not alone. Many people who now have your dream job were once in your position. A bit of timely research might just give you the kick-start you need.
- Keele Internships: www.keele.ac.uk/internships many of our current students and graduates have found graduate level employment through this scheme.
- UK Film Council: www.screenwm.co.uk most has been moved to the regional bodies such as Screen West Midlands which supports, promotes and develops a sustainable and thriving screen media sector in the West Midlands.
- StartinTV: www.startintv.com service specialising in helping TV Newcomers get started.
- BBC: Have a training site for TV, radio and journalism at http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/
- BBC Work Experience Scheme: www.bbc.co.uk/workexperience
- 4Talent provide information on careers, vacancies and other opportunities in the creative industries www.channel4.com/4talent
- Writers Room is a useful resource for budding writers, including help, advice and training opportunities www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom
Job Hunting Links
- Kemps Film and TV Production Services Handbook: www.kftv.com lists contact details of 45,000 companies and crew operating in the film, TV and media production industries worldwide.
- The Knowledge Online: www.theknowledgeonline.com Film Television and Video Website with job forum.
- Production Base: www.productionbase.co.uk a networking site for people and companies working in TV and film, including jobs and links.
Online Networking Links
- Shooting People: www.shootingpeople.org an online film-making community that provides regular bulletins for animators, screenwriters, actors, filmmakers, music videos director/producers & composers. Great source of information and possible employment/experience.
- Mandy's International Film and TV Production Directory: www.mandy.com web-only resource for professional service-providers in Film, TV and Multimedia, including listings for companies in these fields and job ads.
- Talent Circle: www.talentcircle.co.uk film & TV Jobs, industry news and resources for filmmakers, crew and actors.
- Filmmaking Lifestyle: www.filmlifestyle.com filmmaking and video production education site. There are all sorts of helpful resources as well as a solid audience of filmmakers and videographers.