Tier 5 Visa

The Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) visa is for visa nationals coming to the UK through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice.

Tier 5 (GAE) categories cannot be used to fill job vacancies. The Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) GAE scheme may only be used to fill supernumerary roles.

Keele University is permitted to use Tier 5 (GAE) for the following type of roles:

  • Sponsored researchers – this includes only those working on specific scientific, academic, medical or government research projects at UK higher education institutions. Post holders may be funded by a UK source or whose overseas employer will continue to pay for them for the duration of the visit.
  • Visiting academic – who will give lecturers, act as an examiner or work on a supernumerary research collaboration.

In order to engage a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) GAE under any other category the sponsor must be an overarching body which administers the exchange scheme.

For sponsored researchers and visiting academics, the following restrictions apply:

  • any funding/ salary must meet national minimum wage requirements.
  • funding can come from any source, including from the University or a third party, but the individual cannot fund themselves.
  • any work or activity done by Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) GAE scheme must be at or above NQF level 3.
  • visas are valid for a maximum period of 2 years and cannot be extended beyond this period.

Any individuals wishing to come to the University through the Tier 5 (GAE) route must first be issued with a certificate of sponsorship (CoS) from the University. A Faculty or Directorate wishing to engage an individual who requires sponsorship via a Tier 5 visa should contact their HR Link Advisor, before any offer of employment is made.

The University has an obligation to report certain activities of Tier 5 (GAE) workers. These duties include:

  • if the workers does not turn up for their first day, including any reason for non-attendance e.g. missed flight;
  • any change to the workers residential address in the UK or contact details, including mobile telephone number;
  • reasons for absence without permission for more than 10 working days;
  • if they no longer require sponsorship;
  • if there is a change to job title and/or duties and responsibilities;
  • if the period of engagement with Keele ends early;
  • any significant changes to circumstances (e.g. marriage, long term sickness);
  • any information which suggests that the working is breaching the conditions of leave to