Health Care

This section contains information on the UK health system and accessing health services.

Free health treatment is available on the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) to all staff working in the UK for longer than six months, as well as to all citizens from EU countries and those with reciprocal health agreements.

You should register with a GP practice and it is advisable to register during your first weeks in the UK rather than waiting until you require an appointment.

Try comparing and searching for GP practices in your local area before you decide.

When making an appointment, please be aware, that it is usual to wait 2-3 days before you can see a doctor. For non urgent cases this wait can be a week.

A heath professional may issue you with a prescription for medicine which you can collect from a pharmacy. Prescriptions issued by a doctor incur a small charge, although some exceptions apply. A prescription can be filled by any pharmacy.

In addition to filling prescriptions pharmacists are able to offer advice on a range of minor ailments eg cold, hayfever, skin allergies etc.

You can use the services available at your local pharmacy. We are fortunate to have a Well pharmacy on the Keele Campus

Dentists offer routine and special care for teeth and gums. You are encouraged to register with a NHS dentist. Always check if the dentist offers NHS treatment (there is a scale of fixed chargesunless you are exempt from paying charges) as some dentists do not offer this and you would be a private patient and charges may be set by the practice.

Opticians carry out eye and sight examinations. If you need optical treatment you can make an appointment with any optician. There are a number of opticians in the local area. Opticians do charge a fee for appointments unless you are entitled to free free NHS eye tests or optical vouchers.

If you (or your family) are visiting the UK for less than 6 months you are not entitled to free non-emergency treatment in the NHS. If you live lawfully in the UK and you have chosen to live and settle for more than 6 months, you will normally be considered an ‘ordinary resident’ and have the same rights to free healthcare as a UK citizen.

Even if you are entitled to free NHS you may wish to have private medical insurance. Private medical insurance is provided by a number of organisations including:

Alternatively comparison websites such as moneysupermarket may be used to compare insurance policies.

Information to support mental and physical health and wellbeing is available on our website.

The Department of Occupational Health and Safety (DOHS) have a multidisciplinary team of experts providing health and safety advice and support to the University.

The University has linked up with the Staff Counselling Service, the Listening Centre.  The Service offers a high quality, confidential, face to face service, with qualified and experienced counsellors.