Recycling and waste projects

Waste management has a key role to play in meeting the University’s Environmental sustainability objectives, through minimising waste generated, maximising the potential of materials through reuse, recycling and energy recovery, and reducing carbon emissions by diverting waste from landfill. Our policy is to manage waste efficiently, minimising waste generated at source and increase reuse and recycling.

The University`s recycling and waste service: Dry Mixed Recycling should be segregated from General waste. Cardboard, paper, plastic bottles, tins and cans can be recyceld in mixed recycling bins.

You can request more recycling bins by emailing

Re-use is the best option for unwanted furniture. 

Keele University use ‘Warp It’ to redistribute and reuse surplus items internally and externally to our partners.

Warp It makes it very easy for staff to give and get surplus items to/from other staff.

What items can be reused through Warp It?

Mostly reusable furniture, electrical equipment, fixtures and fittings, office consumables (such as stationery and ink jet cartridges), lab equipment, supplies and medical equipment - but any resource really. As long as it is legal, it can be transferred.

How do I register?

Visit their homepage here: (make sure you bookmark it). Hit the big green button which says ‘register’. Once you register, you will receive further instructions.

WARP-IT guide for staff

A staff ‘how to’ guide can be found by clicking on the link below:

Further guidance can be found on the Warp It webpages:

Any more questions?

The person who leads on Warp It in our organisation is Huw Evans, Environmental Manager, email

If you have a question about the actual software please contact

Portering staff should be requested to come and collect Waste Electronic and Electrical Items directly. Please use the form found on the Portering pages of the website. 

Portering staff will collect the items to be stored centrally for collection. All WEEE waste is recovered and recycled as required by legislation. WEEE should not be placed in the general waste bins. 

 Any enquiries should first be raised with Portering Services or ext. 34319. 

Bulky cardboard, such as boxes used for packaging, should be placed directly into the bins located in external bin stores. 'Cardboard only' eurobins are found in most bin stores, in addition to the Dry Mixed Recycling eurobins. Cardboard can also be placed in the Dry Mixed Recycling bins but the preferred option is to place them in the 'cardboard only' bins. This helps reduce costs and improve the efficiency of recycling.

Veolia collect waste and recycling from external bin stores daily (mon-fri). The service schedule below can be downloaded here: Veolia Service Schedule

Glass and Food waste are segregated separately 'in-house' at all University catering outlets for recycling.

There are a few staff areas that have introduced glass and food recycling which they manage themselves. If you'd like to introduce glass or food recycling please email

Keele University is dedicated to trying to recycle as much of its waste as possible, but to do this, students must also do their bit.

How do I recycle?

Mixed recycling should be segregated from general waste and glass within the kitchen bins.

recycling bins with clear bags for paper, cardboard, tins and cans and plastic bottles

*please note, we can only recycle plastic bottles, not all types of plastic. If a plastic item isn't a plastic bottle, it needs to go into the general waste bin. Please don’t contaminate the recycling bins with the wrong type of waste and don’t put any plastic bags into recycling bins 

Dry Mixed Recycling

You need to segregate glass and take it directly to your nearest bin store.