LSC-20061 - Neuropharmacology
Coordinator: Samaneh Maysami Room: HUX-304 Tel: 01782 733671
Lecture Time: See Timetable...
Level: Level 5
Credits: 15
Study Hours: 150
School Office: 01782 734414

Programme/Approved Electives for 2022/23

None

Available as a Free Standing Elective

No

Co-requisites

None

Prerequisites

None

Barred Combinations

None

Description for 2022/23

By the end of this module, you will be able to discuss how medications that are aimed to treat neurological and mental disorders would usually apply their effects (e.g., binding to specific substrates).
You will be able to critically appraise preclinical trials (in models of disease) and evaluate the effectiveness of an intervention in the clinic (clinical trials).
You will be able to explain absorption, metabolism, solubility, ability to cross the blood-brain barrier, clearance (excretion and secretion), and toxicity (ADMET) of a drug of choice in neuroscience.
You will be able to discuss about drug-receptor interactions, dose-response (concentration response in models of disease) and how presence of confounding factors could alter distribution, metabolism, and elimination of drugs systemically or within the nervous system.
You will also be able to link basic principles of neuropharmacology, molecular mechanisms, and therapeutic index with wider disciplines such as population health, health economics, and neuroanatomy.
Finally, you will be able to critically evaluate advances made in neuropharmacology towards precision therapy and personalised medicine in recent years.

Aims
Students will learn about the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of medications used to treat neuropsychiatric diseases and disorders. They will learn about the pathways involved in drug discovery and novel approaches in treatment and management of neuropsychiatric illnesses.

Talis Aspire Reading List
Any reading lists will be provided by the start of the course.
http://lists.lib.keele.ac.uk/modules/lsc-20061/lists

Intended Learning Outcomes

Describe the biochemical basis and molecular mechanisms by which drugs regulate the neurotransmission to treat neuropsychiatric disorders in the preclinical and clinical settings: 1,2
Compare and contrast the therapeutic values, adverse-effects and/or side-effects of drugs: 1,2
Critically evaluate how various classes of drugs can induce changes in the neuronal signalling to affect mood and behaviour and/or cause dependency or addiction: 1,2
Communicate findings from analyses of journal articles orally or in writing in their assessments in accordance with professional conventions in neuroscience: 1,2
Critically evaluate the pathways in drug discovery and development in neuroscience from research and development to clinical trials: 1,2

Study hours

- 12 hours asynchronous topics
- 12 hours tutorial to consolidate the lecture materials
- 20 hours Journal comprehension oral presentations
- 104 hours of independent study
- 2 hours exam

School Rules

None

Description of Module Assessment

1: Oral Presentation weighted 50%
Journal Comprehension Oral Presentation
Each student is given a research paper to critically review. They will need to concisely summarise the main aims and methods, situate main findings in the wider literature and identify key strengths and weaknesses of the paper. Students then work in small groups (6-10 students) to produce a conference style series of flash talks (5-10 minutes per student) presenting their findings. The final product should be a pre-recorded presentation no longer than 1.5 hrs per group. 10% of the overall marks will be a group mark awarded on the basis of overall coherency, flow and production. The remaining 90% of marks will be awarded to individual students based on their presentation and demonstrable understanding of their research paper.

2: Open Book Examination weighted 50%
2h online open-book assessment with a 28-hour assessment window
ONE essay-based question from a choice of three. Typical answers would be in the range of 500-750 words per topic. We recommend that students do not exceed 750 words per essay-based question as we will be assessing the quality of your answer, not the quantity. Students are expected to complete this assessment within 2 hours.