Trees Donated to Keele
Mrs Marion Bailey - Registrar's Secretary (1949 - 1986)
Donated a group of White Poplars Populus alba on the grass by the Chapel and Walter Moberly Hall, close to where her office in the Registry had stood for over 30 years. Square M7; compartment 43b. See photograph.
Ms Margaret Bird - Assistant Librarian
Dr Mary Campion - Lecturer in Department of Biological Sciences (1956 - 1990)
Avenue of 31 Beech Fagus sylvatica donated by her in 1990 on her retirement. Between the Students Union car-park and Chancellor's Building. Square M7, compartments 43b and 44d. See photograph.
Professor Philip Davies
Part of the funding for trees used in the planting of Union Square kindly came from the alumnus Philip Davies who studied American Studies while his alumna wife Rosamund studied Russian. Read more about New Trees in Union Square.
Professor Davies also donated in 2016 a number of Beech trees to be planted on Beech Clump. A group of these used to dominate the skyline there but were felled because of safety in the 1970s.
Professor David Drakakis-Smith - Department of Geography
A Willow Salix sp. donated in 2002; location and species to be decided.
Ruth and Robert Eagle and Aradhna Tripati
A Flowering Cherry Prunus 'Dorothy Clive' sponsored by them in the Memorial Garden; tag 4249.
Dr Claire Firth - Keele, 1964-1969 (American Studies and Geography)
A Flowering Cherry Prunus speciosa 'Yae-beni-oshima' in the Memorial Garden was sponsored by her. A plaque reads "How many, many things; They call to mind; These cherry-blossoms!; - Matsuo Basho; Claire H. Firth (Keele, 1964-1969)". Square K11, compartment 24B; tag 4245.
Mr Colin Lee a graduate in 1976
Donated £25 for purchasing trees.
Christmas Tree Growers' Conference; October 2007
The British Christmas Tree Growers Association (BCTGA) held their annual conference at Keele and, during their visit, they presented two Christmas trees Abies fraseri to the University. They will be planted by Lake 1.
Community Schools Open Day
Three Flowering Cherries Prunus sp. planted in 1998 by Chancellor's Building Square L6; compartment 49b.
International Tree Foundation
London Plane Platanus X acerifolia donated 2000; location to be decided. Donated following a guided visit to the grounds.
Pin Oak Quercus coccinea was donated to Peter Thomas by Shropshire & Montgomery Branch of the International Tree Foundation and planted below Firs Hill; Compartment 25, square M10.
Keele Parish Council
Donated a Wych Elm Ulmus glabra which was planted on the Village Green in 1998.
Keele Sunday School
Donated a Large -leaved Lime Tilia platyphyllos which was planted by Miss Mary Glover. It is one of a group of three in front of Walter Moberly Hall. Planting date not known but they were described as "young trees" in 1975. Square L7; compartment 42a.
Donated trees in 1972 to be planted "across the road from the Chapel" to conclude the University's 21st anniversary celebrations.
Students Halls Committee 1985
Field Maple Acer campestris planted 1985 at Hawthorns Hall.
University Officers Conference 2006
An Atlantic Cedar Cedrus atlantica was planted to the side of Keele Hall on 5th September 2006. Square M11; compartment 25. See photograph.