Planted in Commemoration
A plaque was placed alongside the Prunus litigiosa or Tassled Cherry on Cherry Tree walk to mark Dave's retirement after 43 years at Keele and for his work on the arboretum. The plaque reads "This plaque commemorates the retirement of Dave Emley November 2016. With thanks and affection from his friends in the Natural Estates Advisory Group".
A Horse Chestnut Aesculus hippocastanum planted by him near the fountain at Keele Hall to commemorate his visit to his great friend the Grand Duke Michael of Russia at Keele in 1901. When HM Queen Elizabeth visited in 1951 exactly 50 years later it was on the itinerary for her to have the tree pointed out to her. Of course Edward VII was her husband's grandfather hence the significance - our current Queen and Princess Margaret's great-grandfather. That tree location has a very strategic position directly marking a right angle connection between the Clock Tower and Keele Hall. The Queen was taken by car to the south of it and by foot to the north of it. Thanks to Grace Filby for this information. Square M11; compartment 23a; tag 7520.
An Irish Yew Taxus baccata 'Fastigiata' planted by the Chancellor's Building; compartment 49a; square L6; tag 1004
A Purple Beech Fagus sylvatica 'Purpurea' planted by her on the lawn near the fountain in 1951 to commemorate the opening of the University College of North Staffordshire (UCNS). Square M10; compartment 23A; tag 7522. See photograph
Group of 80 Beech Fagus sylvatica planted by the Reservoir in 1970 to commemorate her 80th birthday was funded by a Countryside Commission grant and donations from members of staff.
Earl of Harrowby - first President of University College of North Staffordshire (1949 - 1955)
Pedunculate or English Oak Quercus robur planted by him on the lawn to the side of Keele Hall. The plaque reads "Quercus robur, English Oak. This tree (from Sandon Hall) was planted by Lord Harrowby, first President of University College of North Staffordshire in March 1952". Square M11, compartment 23A; tag 7518. See photograph.
Arboricultural Association - September 2016
To mark the Association's 2016 Annual Conference, they donated a disease-resistant Elm Ulmus x 'Vada ['Wanoux']. It has been planted by the side of Cherry Tree Walk. More here.
Mr Peter Johnson - Chief Executive North Staffs Partnerships
Planted a Himalayan Birch Betula jacquemontii 'Snow Queen' by IC2 in May 2001.
5 Prunus 'Amanogowa' were planted in front of Dorothy Hodgkin Building on 6th March 2015 by Professor Makoto Kurata and Professor Fiona Cownie (on behalf of the Vice Chancellor) to commemorate links with Kyoto University. A plaque reads "These Cherry Trees have been planted by Professor Nick Foskett and Professor Makoto Kurata on March 65, 2015. In commemoration of 25 years of educational partnership Keele University and Kyoto University of Foreign Studies 1990 - 2015". See photograph of ceremony.
Mrs Flora Morgan - Deputy Domestic Bursar (1950 - 1961)
A Silver Birch Betula pendula planted in a brick planter by the Students' Union in commemoration of her years at Keele. Square N7, compartment 45a. See photograph. This tree was felled on 20/12/2011 as part of the Union Square redevelopment.
Professor Paul Rolo - Department of History (1951 - 1982)
A Wellingtonia Sequoiadendron giganteum, donated by the staff of International Relations,planted in November 1982 at Hawthorns Hall to mark his retirement.
Mr. Tom Stacey - Grounds Superintendent at Keele (died October 2003).
8000 Common Ash Fraxinus excelsior, 8000 English Oak Quercus robur and 8000 Norway Spruce Picea abies planted in 1978 above Horwood, the purpose of the woodland being to provide a natural screen between The Butts, Newcastle and new student accommodation. It was named Stacey Plantation in recognition of his years at Keele.
A Monkey-puzzle Araucaria araucana planted by the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Janet Finch, on 26th October 2004 to commemorate the launch of the Keele Arboretum leaflet. It is situated to the left of the Library; compartment 30e; square M9. See photographs.