Chancellors and Vice-Chancellors of Keele University

In 1949 Keele Hall and 150 acres of Keele Park with five stone lodges were purchased for the new University College of North Staffordshire, which opened in 1950. In 1962 the College received the Royal Charter to become the University of Keele.

Princess Margaret 1961 KEELE UNIVERSITY 1962-

Chancellors of Keele University

Jonathon Porritt (2012- )
Professor Sir David Weatherall (2002-2012)
Claus Moser (Lord Moser) (1986-2002)
HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (1962-1986)

Vice-Chancellors of Keele University

Professor Trevor McMillan (2015- )
Professor Nick Foskett (2010-2015 )
Professor Dame Janet Finch (1995-2010)
Professor Sir Brian Fender (1985-1995)
Sir David Harrison (1979-1985)
Professor William Alexander Campbell Stewart (1967-1979)
Dr Harold McCarter Taylor (1962-1967)

Photo right: H. R. H. Princess Margaret, Persdient of the College, 1961

UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF NORTH STAFFORDSHIRE 1949-1962

‌Presidents of the University College of North Staffordshire

HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (1956-1962) Portrait of Princess
John Herbert Dudley Ryder, 5th Earl of Harrowby (1949-1955)

Founding Principal of the University College of North Staffordshire

Lord Alexander Dunlop ("Sandie") Lindsay of Birker (1949-1952)

Principals of the University College of North Staffordshire

Dr Harold McCarter Taylor (1961-1962)
Sir George Barnes (1956-1960)
Sir John Lennard-Jones (1952-1956)


Royal Invitation to SU Ball

A Brief History of Keele.