Bioinorganic Chemistry of Aluminium & Silicon
Explore this Section
- / Bioinorganic Chemistry of Aluminium & Silicon /
- Keele Meetings /
- 2015 /
- JD Birchall Memorial Lecture
Eleventh Keele Meeting 2013 - JD Birchall Memorial Lecture
|The untimely death of Professor JD Birchall FRS in the autumn of 1995 resulted in the inauguration of a lecture in his name, JD Birchall Memorial Lecture. This is an invited lecture given by an experienced researcher in the field and is traditionally used to close the meeting.|
In 2015 the JD Birchall Memorial Lecture will be given by;
Professor Leon Kochian
Director, Robert W Holley Center for Agriculture and Health USDA-ARS, Professor of Plant Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA
Professor Kochian is Mr Aluminium in the world of plants, and the title of his talk is;
Plants Do Some Surprising Things to Deal With Toxic Aluminium in the Soil!
- 1997 Dr C Exley The Silicon BiCycle.
- 1999 Professor RJP Williams FRS What is Wrong with Aluminium?
- 2001 Professor J Savory Aluminium and Cell Suicide: Oh What a Tangled Web We Weave.
- 2003 Dr JP Day A History of Aluminium in Human Disease.
- 2005 Professor DP Perl The Association of Aluminium and Neurodegnerative Disease (1980-2005). Personal Recollections and Future Perspectives.
- 2007 Professor TB Kinraide Personal Experiences Analysing the Interactive Toxic and Ameliorative Effects of Aluminium Species and Other Ions.
- 2009 Professor S Sjöberg Chemical Speciation, Solubilities and Surface Complexation in Aqueous Al(hydr)oxide Suspensions.
- 2011 Professor SC Bondy Is the Aluminium in Your Drinking Water Safe?
- 2013 Professor T Kiss From Inorganic to the Biological Chemistry of Aluminium