Leadership and governance
Keele embeds sustainability throughout everything we do through high-level commitment from University leadership and policies which address sustainability in the curriculum and University operations.
Our Environment and Sustainability Steering Group (ESSG) is responsible for overseeing sustainability performance and coordinating initiatives. The group is chaired by the Deputy Vice Chancellor and includes representatives from across the University who play a key role in different areas of sustainability.The Environment and Sustainability Steering Group (ESSG) meets quarterly and leads on strategic decisions relating to sustainability at Keele, receiving reports on progress towards key sustainability objectives including Recycling and Waste Management, Energy Management, Procurement, Catering, Education for Sustainability, and Research and the Students' Union's sustainability activities.
Student representation at ESSG is provided through the current Sustainability Interns and an elected full time Sabbatical Officer sitting on the committee. Student officers are re-elected on an annual basis and provide a student voice to the committee, alongside input relating to student-led sustainability activities.
Chair – Deputy Vice-Chancellor
Director of Estate and Campus Services
Head of Grounds
Director of Education for Sustainability
Head of Catering and Retail
Human Resources Equality and Diversity Officer
Head of Conferencing and Events
Students’ Union Sabbatical Officer
Director of Information Technology (associate member)
Director of Strategic Communications and Brand (associate member)
Terms of reference
1) Provide co-ordination of the Sustainability agenda across the University.
2) To develop and implement the Sustainability Strategy 2015-2020.
3) Produce, monitor and review objectives and targets set out in the Carbon Management Plan and the Environmental & Energy Policy.
4) Publicise the University's performance against the University’s Carbon Management Plan and Environmental Policy and other relevant benchmarks.
5) Provide an annual report to the Executive Committee on progress made.
6) To support and continually review policies and plans which will enable the Policy/strategy to be met within key development areas: Learning, Teaching and Research Leadership & Governance Estates and Operations including; Procurement, Catering & Retail, Biodiversity, Waste & Recycling and Information Technology (IT) Partnership & Engagement
7) Establish, disestablish and oversee membership of any necessary sub-group e.g. a Biodiversity Sub-Group.
8) To review progress in the ‘Green League’ and propose actions associated with it and other matrices.
The Group will report, via the Chair, to the University’s Executive Committee, and budget resources group as appropriate.
The Minutes of the meetings will be circulated to the Senior Policy and Strategy Manager.
The Group will produce an Annual Report to be submitted to Executive Committee.
The Group meets four times a year.
Standard Agenda items
- Chair’s report
- Leadership, Staff & Governance - including Staff Engagement and Human Resources, Health and Wellbeing Risk, Sustainability Policies
- Learning, Teaching & Research - including Student Engagement and Education for Sustainability report
- Estates & Operations - including Waste, Biodiversity, Construction, Water, Travel, Adaptation and Energy, Environmental management report and Energy management report
- Partnership & Engagement - including Community & Public Engagement, Business & Industry Interface, Procurement & Supplier Engagement and Food & Drink
- Communications - including Social Media update
- Awards, League Tables and Metrics
- Any Other Business
ESSG receives quarterly updates relating to key sustainability objectives and projects including recycling and waste management; energy, carbon and water; education for sustainability; student engagement with sustainability; procurement and catering, and other key events and research. Agendas and minutes from past meetings are available below:
- ESSG Agenda & Minutes 28th January 2021
- ESSG Agenda and Minutes - 8th October 2020
- ESSG Agenda and Minutes - 25th March 2019
- ESSG Agenda and Minutes - 23rd January 2019
- ESSG Agenda and Minutes - 31st October 2018
- ESSG Agenda and Minutes - 12th June 2018
- ESSG Agenda and Minutes - 14th March 2018
- ESSG Agenda and Minutes - 23rd January 2018
- ESSG Agenda and Minutes - 16th November 2017
- ESSG Agenda and Minutes - 22nd June 2017
- ESSG Agenda and Minutes - 23rd March 2017
- ESSG Agenda and Minutes - 11th January 2017
- ESSG Agenda and Minutes - 3rd November 2016
- ESSG Agenda and Minutes - 20th June 2016