Explore this Section
Keele University Strategic Plan
At the end of April 2010 the University Council approved the 2010-2015 Strategic Plan, which had been developed over the previous year following consultations with staff, students, the senior management team, and members of Council.
The consultation included focus groups, drop-in sessions and questionnaires; the range of contributions and the time given by many people – especially to the focus groups - was enormously helpful. A number of strong themes emerged that informed the development of the one page Strategic Map and the subsequent supporting documents.
Keele will continue to be one of the UK’s leading campus-based University communities
Keele will provide a high quality educational experience for students shaped by outstanding research, contributing positively to social, environmental, and economic agendas locally, nationally and internationally.
Observing Keele’s founding ethos of ‘the pursuit of truth in the company of friends’, the University is committed to:
- The transformative capacity of education for individuals, communities and society;
- Equality of educational opportunity;
- Advancing knowledge through independent research and academic enquiry;
- Environmental and economic sustainability;
- Delivering high quality service and experience in all our activities;
- Valuing the rights, responsibilities and dignity of individuals through our commitment to equality and diversity;
- Valuing probity and ethical behaviour;
- Caring for the well-being of all our members.
STRATEGIC AIM 1: To be a broad-based University of about 10,000 students, recognised internationally for excellence in education and research.
- To be an international University in terms of our student and staff profile and the ways we undertake our learning, teaching and research.
- To extend Keele's profile and reach regionally, nationally and where appropriate internationally to strengthen our educational and research initiatives, and to develop alternative routes into higher education.
- To develop the quality, diversity and size of the postgraduate student community.
- To retain a broad-based academic profile based on a strong commitment to high quality education and research and responsiveness to changing external contexts.
- To be recognised as an influential University making a positive contribution within academia and wider society.
STRATEGIC AIM 2: To provide the highest quality student experience to a diverse student body.
- To provide the highest quality learning and teaching experience, anticipating and responding to student needs and underpinned by research-based knowledge, skills and professional insights.
- To provide an excellent learning and living environment emphasising the strengths of Keele’s community and campuses as the context for learning.
STRATEGIC AIM 3: To deliver international excellence and impact in focused areas of research.
- To focus our research effort in areas of theoretical, applied, and practice-based research where we can achieve the highest levels of quality and impact.
- To foster innovation and enterprise with partners.
STRATEGIC AIM 4: To contribute positively to the society, economy, culture and health of the communities we serve through our research, education and enterprise.
- To produce high quality global graduates characterised by a set of distinctive Keele Graduate Attributes.
- To be outward-reaching to business, public bodies and the third sector, contributing positively to regeneration, economic & social development, in particular locally and regionally.
STRATEGIC AIM 5: To develop an environmentally aware and sustainable outward-facing campus community.
- To provide models of innovation and good practice in environmental sustainability through all our activities.
- To unlock the potential of the University Estate so that it underpins the attainment of our vision.
- To share and provide the University’s expertise in environment and sustainability to local, regional, national and international communities and partners.
STRATEGIC AIM 6: To manage and develop resources effectively to ensure the University's sustainability and development.
- To provide models of good practice and deliver economic sustainability through all our activities.
- To enable staff to contribute effectively to the University’s future development.
- To manage our reputation and profile to enhance the University's effectiveness and impact.
- To grow and develop the University's commercial activity in support of the Institution's research and educational mission.