Explore this Section
|Course Title:||PGCE - International|
|Course type:||Postgraduate Certificate of Education|
|Mode of Study:||Part Time|
|Contact Details:||Melanie Shaw (Programme Administrator) / ---Dr Stephen Whitehead (Asia Programme Coordinator)|
|Contact email:||email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Website:||Go to Course homepage|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences|
- Course Aims
- Entry Requirements
- Course Content
- Teaching & Assessment
- Additional Costs
- Course Fees
- Course Dates
In developing its international strategy, Keele has identified Malaysia as its hub in South East Asia, and it is our intention to focus our activity around existing and emerging partnerships with Malaysian institutions.
Keele is one of the top teaching and research universities in the UK. It has recently been ranked 61st by the TES in World Best 100 young universities (under 50 years old). Keele has been delivering PGCE programmes for several decades and the high quality of provision within the PGCE Secondary programme has been recognised by OfSTED. Keele University has been delivering Masters level programmes for educationalists in Asia since 2010.
Aimed at teachers in, or aspiring to, International Schools, Universities, and Language Schools across South East Asia the Keele PGCEi offers course members direct and extensive taught input by UK PGCE Specialists and the support of a leading International School.
With South East Asian-based British Tutors and administrative support the Keele PGCEi offers the most student focussed, highest-quality programme of its type currently available in Asia. The programme is readily accessible to teachers and aspiring teachers located anywhere in Asia.
OVERVIEW OF KEY FEATURES
- Globally recognised teaching qualification
- Suitable for all curriculums (including IB, AP and the National Curriculum of England)
- Part-time semi-distance learning
- Reduced fees for experienced teachers
- Opportunity to progress to MA Education (International)
- Flexible teaching practice component of 12-18 weeks, dependent on experience (see below)
- Three MA-level taught modules: Learners, Learning and Assessment (30 credits); International Educational Perspectives and Practice (15 credits); Creative practice (15 credits)
- Based on Keele University's highly successful UK PGCE
- Suitable for those working in Kindergarten, Primary, Secondary or Post-Compulsory Education Sectors
- Taught, validated, assessed and accredited by Keele University (UK)
Visit our Asia Programmes homepage to see the full suite of international postgraduate programmes available.
NB: Qualified Teachers Status in England is conferred by the Department of Education and not by universities. This PGCEi does not therefore offer a licence to teach in the UK. Similarly, the programme does not confer Qualified Teachers Status for the Learning and Skills Sector (Post-compulsory education).
Keele University reserves the right to alter any aspect of the PGCEi programme, including fees, without prior notice.
- To support the development of education professionals;
- To develop the ability to critically examine a wide range of educational issues, especially those pertinent to working in international schools;
- To support course participants in developing the knowledge skills and competencies they require to be effective practitioners in the classroom, and in the wider school/college environment.
Applicants should, ideally have a good honours degree, English as first language or IELTS score of 6.5 or above. Pre-service applicants may be required to attend an interview to confirm suitability for the course.
39-week programme with designated Keele University tutor support throughout.
Two entry routes:
Entry Level 1: Experienced in-service teachers seeking professional certification. Programme includes 12 weeks teaching practice for in-service teachers (undertaken in current school)
Entry Level 2: Associate, support and aspiring teachers seeking professional certifications to work in international schools, colleges, universities or private agencies. Includes 18 weeks teaching practice for applicants with little or no teaching experience.
Click to download the latest PGCEi Course Details 2014
- 39 week programme, including up to 18 weeks of teaching practice (length of programme may be reduced through APEL);
- 3 MA-level taught components delivered over 3 weekends, plus weekly online study and support.
All taught elements of the PGCEi are delivered at Harrow International School, Bangkok, Thailand.
- 3 formal essays of c. 3,500 words;
- a series of formative assessment activities;
- final portfolio with reflective essay;
- reflective journal/log
- formal assessment of capability in the classroom with end of placement reports.
Academic modules offer outcomes at Masters level or professional graduate level (final outcome based upon level of performance in the essay).
Graeme Easdown (Programme Director); Alison Parr, Dr Stephen Whitehead, Denry Machin. All tutors are highly experienced in education provision both in the UK and in Asia.
Please note: fees do not include text books, travel and subsistence or accommodation costs.
Entry Level 1: £4500 (for in-service teachers with a minimum of two years, full-time verifiable teaching experience)
Entry Level 2: £6000 (for pre-service applicants with little or no teaching experience)
Fees include all taught components, in-school mentor support, module learning guides, access to reading materials, practical and theory assessments and, where required, support securing teaching practice placements. Fees are payable by instalments.
Note: Applicants requesting Level 1 entry to the PGCEi will be invited to apply for Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) for an additional fee of £100.
Start Date: 11th - 13th August 2014
Thank you for your interest in Keele University’s PGCE International programme. Our next intake of the PGCEi for 2014/15, with completion by September 2015 , will now start on 11th – 13th August 2014, when we will offer the first residential at Keele University in the UK. Subsequent residentials (dates to be confirmed) will, subject to final agreements with our partner institutions in Malaysia, be held in Kuala Lumpur.