Explore this Section
- Foundation Year homepage
- Foundation Year Welcome Web
- General Foundation Year
- International Foundation Year
- International Degree Programme
- Accelerated International Foundation Year
- Accelerated International Degree Programme
- Health Foundation Year
- Science Foundation Year
- Humanities Foundation Year
- Social Science Foundation Year
- Foundation Year for the Visually Impaired
- Visiting Keele
- Undergraduate study at Keele
- Contact us
- International Students Pages
The Accelerated International Foundation Year provides:
- A six-month course from April to September for overseas students whose home educational system does not provide the necessary specialisation for direct admission to Honours courses.
- A range of modules aimed at bridging the gap between current qualifications and the knowledge and skills required for Honours degree courses.
- An excellent opportunity for students to improve their English while studying at a University in the UK prior to starting an Honours degree programme.
- Teaching on campus, by Keele University staff.
- Regular contact with a personal tutor, at least weekly.
- Accommodation on campus.
- AIFY Key Dates 2014
To enter the Accelerated International Foundation Year, you must have the following minimum qualifications:
- Academic IELTS level 5 (with at least level 5 in all subtests)
- A national high school leaving certificate/diploma, or academic qualifications equivalent to UK 'A' levels grade C or 'AS' levels grade B
- Numerate or mathematics qualifications equivalent to UK GCSE grade C
In some cases, students who do not have Academic IELTS level 5 with level 5 in all subtests by the previous September can be put in contact with a college in their home country to help them to achieve that by the March prior to starting the Foundation Year the following month.
The fee for the Accelerated International Foundation Year is £8,880 (April 2014 entry). Students continuing their degree studies at Keele will be entitled to a fee discount of £1,000 per year in their subsequent years of undergraduate study.
How to Apply
All applications must be made using the AIFY Application Form direct to the Keele International office at Keele University.
All students take core skills modules in English Language. In addition, they take modules related to the degree subjects which they wish to study after the International Foundation Year. If you join the course, you will be appointed a personal tutor who will see you at least once a week and oversee your academic development, as well helping in other ways with regard to your being a Keele student. The choice of modules studied is individual to each student and you will be able to discuss with your tutor the best options for you.
A large focus of the International Foundation Year is English Language development appropriate to preparing students for academic study: this covers all aspects of listening, speaking and writing. However, the programme is designed to address the whole learning experience and individual approaches to study. You will have opportunities to consider your learning style and reflect on what influences your own learning. You will also be given relevant information and advice about studying and how to make the best use of the available resources.
Assessment is though a combination of examination and coursework, so all students are aware of their level of attainment throughout the programme. By the end of the year, you will have had the opportunity to improve your English, including that required for formal academic study as well as general conversation and to develop skills and knowledge relating to your chosen degree subject.
Progression to Degree Level Study
There is a progression agreement which guarantees a place on an honours degree programme at Keele in a range of degree subjects for all students completing the Accelerated International Foundation Year, subject to meeting minimum threshold grades and obtaining a visa.
Alternatively, students may choose to continue their studies at another university, by applying through UCAS.
For further information, please contact:
Head of the Accelerated International Foundation Year
Foundation Year Centre
Staffordshire ST5 5BG
Tel: 01782 733989